Message 81 of 113

Re: Line reset yet again please

Go to solution

Thank you for posting back. When we turn DLM off, we are hard capping
the SNR at a set level in your case this was 6dB. This does depend on
the connection remaining stable and the customer using a BT Retail
provided router. I should have explained this better this on my earlier
post so my apologies.

This I sort of agree with. As long as you have no 'hard', ie water/tree rub/ underground cable not armored and not in a duct,type fault this is the best you can do.

If your fault is 'soft' then it's sort of up to you. Identify/remove your REIN and the hard bit Identify/remove other peoples REIN.

Openreach do have the facility to 'sniff' your environment. This can identify REIN and leaking broad band. Pole 15b prev post.

Summoning this service whilst using a non BT router is impossible/not advisable. They might blame your router, costly £95 I think.

On the other hand, from first hand expirence, the above is also impossible/improbable with a BT router. Hey ho sunny July.

It's not possible to remove DLM in total as your connection simply
wouldn't work well as there will always be a fluctuating levels on
noise interference on the line, that the equipment in the exchange would
need to adjust to it in order to keep your connection working. In hard
capping (turning DLM off) we are saying this is the preferred SNR for
this line.

This I totally agree with. Turn DLM(DSLAM) off and you might as well toss the two bits of insulated twisted copper and get two cups and a bit of string setup between you and the exchange. Try shouting louder!

The equipment in the exchange will always favour stability over speed.
If you've seen your SNR increase after it being hard set at 6 dB, then
it's likely there are too many errors and interference on your line for
the line to support the 6 dB noise margin.

This I agree with BUT you could always get your Billion out and hard set snr target yourself say 9dB though I don't know if the t&cs allow it?

But If you are all of a sudden getting 10dB-14dB swing there's something wrong/changed. New chicken farm down the road?

If the length of your line corresponds to any fundamental or harmonics frequency , ham radio may be fixable, of the interference then apart from asking Openreach to MAKE MY LINE LONGER there is nothing you can do. And they'll think you just beamed down even if you are indeed correct after all your time consuming investigations.

Try putting the router on a dirty great big extension. Might help. You just don't actually KNOW till you've tried it.

Hope all this helps someone.

warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 82 of 113

Go to solution
Ah, OK Paddy, I didn't realise it had to be a bt router, I have dns etc all configured off BT and for open dns, would this have effected it?
0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 83 of 113

Go to solution
Thanks for all the input, had been adjusting snr with the billion but seemed to upset dlm even more as it kept reseting it with higher snr
0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 84 of 113

Go to solution
Most BT hubs won't let you configure the dns.

This can however easy be overcome by grabbing one of you're non BT routers with a wired WAN port. Set dns to whatever you like on non bt router works a treat. Remember to turn of wireless on BT hub if this is a safety/parental reason for choosing a specific dns.

Hope this helps?
0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 85 of 113

Go to solution

@warrenshaw22wrote:
Thanks for all the input, had been adjusting snr with the billion but seemed to upset dlm even more as it kept reseting it with higher snr

I think you need to go for BT hub and dns soloution. Remember BT dns breaking windows update recently?

I use exta router with Quad9 9.9.9.9 on the old man keeps him safer at 80 odd.

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 86 of 113

Go to solution
Ok last post I hope.
Have you read my thread? https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-broadband/Adsl-Max-to-Adsl2-Tags-SLT-Upload-Cap/td-p/1939255

I describes how, albeit with a line fault, DLM off fixed 6dB target.

Both ADSL Max and ADSL2(+?) i think ADSL2.

Have you actually got a working BT hub? If so what is it?

Keep updates coming.
0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 87 of 113

Go to solution
I was just wondering, due to the amount of problems and issues I have had over the last 6 months and referring also to the ispa guidlines, would it not be the case to assume BT should cancel my services with no financial penalty to myself?
I mean the mods on here have been absolute gents, but we have changed modulation twice, reset the line about 6 times, I personally have spent a fortune on Routers and new wiring and still problems persist? I mean surely by now we can now assume that the line is just not capable of providing a reliable adsl service and I should be able to cancel without penalty?
0 Ratings
warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 88 of 113

Go to solution
Would any of the mods know where I stand?
0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 89 of 113

Go to solution
I would make an official complaint to BT.

They should after this time case manage you.

Give them 10 working days then ISPA.

You should have an e-mail from when you signed up.

If it says say Min DL Gtee 5 and you've been getting 2 you may have a get out.

I don't really know but don't put up with 12 months of BS like I did and still can't get out.

No one at BT ever told me of there existence. I think this is a breach of the code in it's self and if should be.

Best of luck. We're doomed.

warrenshaw22
Aspiring Expert
Message 90 of 113

Go to solution
I didn't receive any such email as it was a 'house move', is was previously on fibre for a long time at my old address with no issues.
I actually had a whole handling at the start even before connected as the employee lied to me about the price to my surprise at my first bill! Was a whole investigation and it was proved through recorded telephone call and ritified! The forum here and mods is very good, but ring though to the call centres and might as well talk to a brick wall! That's why I thought maybe o e of the mods could assist me in getting out.