cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
riponwitch
Message 1 of 8

Loads of random BB and phoneline issues

My phone line is VERYnoisy. Actually it is impossible to hold a conversation sometimes due to the whooshing and crackling!  It has been like this for a year or two but for one reason or another we didn't report it as we thought we were moving. We were with a different BB provider so when we kept losing our BB connection we assumed it was an AOL problem. Since switching to BT, however the situation has not changed.

We have no internet connection at all when it rains.

Our phone line is super noisy.

Over the phone line we can hear the whistling noise you used to get when you used dial up (I'm sure you know the noise)

If the phone rings the BB drops out

If we then make an outgoing call the router re-synchs itself but only for a few minutes

Pressing the reset button or turning everything off and on again has no effect

I have tested all the filters and have one on every thing connected to a phone line

I did a quiet line test on the master socket (the one behind the front screw on bit) and there is a teeny bit of noise but not much

The BB problem is intermittent but most of the time at the moment

My phoneline comes from a telegraph pole opposite my house

There is often a BT engineer up said pole

I have not asked for an engineer visit because I genuinely cannot afford to pay nearly £200 if said engineer says the fault is mine.

Assume water os getting in somewhere or there is some cable damage but cannot prove!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
riponwitch
Message 2 of 8

Re: Loads of random BB and phoneline issues

I'd just like to add that when I searched for BB connection problems, those similar to mine came up several times and turned out to be HR issues

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

try the quiet line test by connecting to test socket and dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet with no hiss/crackle/whoosh and best with corded phone  if any noise then you need to report a phone fault to 151 or use link 

you need to get the line fixed before your broadband will improve

phone faults

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
riponwitch
Message 4 of 8

Quiet line test shows occasional crackle and hiss but barely audible, have just spent 20 minutes on phone trying to get through to anactual human being but I have 3 kids so I can't spend all day on the phone!

0 Ratings
riponwitch
Message 5 of 8

tried reporting fault online but lucky to stay connected long enough!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

sorry but need to keep trying  until you get engineer to fix noise you are never going to get a good broadband conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
riponwitch
Message 7 of 8

have logged it online so waiting for response

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

ok once you get noise fixed and if still having problems then post back

0 Ratings