cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markiepoos
Message 1 of 9

Local postcodes have Fibre, But I Don't? *PLEASE HELP*

Hello,

My internet will get a maximum speed of 4mbps which is diabolically slow. 

I have phoned up companies like, BT and Plusnet customer services and all they do is tell me to give them my line number and postcode which is what I can do on their sites. They just come back to me and tell me that I can get superfast broadband of 8mbps... 

However, I have done some research myself and found out that 7 other local postcodes have the fibre of speeds between 30 - 80mbps. 

I have search through this forum a bit and found a link which tells me the details of my cabinet on the end of my street which is about 20 metres away from me. 

Here they are: 

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01978* on Exchange WREXHAM is served by Cabinet 18

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    
FTTC Range A (Clean)106.21.20.8--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)8.52.71.20.5--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4--2.5 to 6.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 4Up to 0.52.5 to 6.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 3--2 to 6Available
WBC Fixed Rate----Available
Fixed Rate----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

I read on the thread that it may be because they're too far away from the exchange, the thing that confuses me is that the local postcodes are further away from Wrexham then I am and they can get it? 

The local postcodes I tried were: LL11 4FE - 35MB to 45MB, LL114QR - 65MB to 80MB, LL11FD - 30MB to 40MB 

My postcode is: LL11 4AX

Please, could you help me, I have literally been searching for an answer for over a year and my internet speeds restricts me on everything!! 

Thank you

Mark 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Local postcodes have Fibre, But I Don't? *PLEASE HELP*

You really need to post on plusnet forum as this forum is for bt residential customers

looking up your post code you are on cab 18 and estimate from your phone is more than like correct and you are just to far from your street cabinet. Distance from the exchange for fibre is immaterial as distance from cabinet that counts

original.png

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Perhaps you should be asking this on the Plusnet forum?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum

Specifically https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/bd-p/Fibre

This BT Retail forum has nothing to do with Plusnet.

Its Openreach that provide and maintain the fibre cabinets and local network.

0 Ratings
markiepoos
Message 4 of 9

I was a BT customer, as per my message I did state that I spoke to BT customer services and Plusnet customer services.

I am trying to get some answers from ANY provider. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
markiepoos
Message 5 of 9

I can see my cabinet from my front door, it's about 15 - 20meters away from my house.
0 Ratings
BT Expert
Message 6 of 9

Hi markiepoos,

Those properties in other postcodes you have mentioned are connected to a PCP 32 (Which as a FTTC DSLAM cab) whereas the properties in your postcode are connected to PCP 18 (Which also has FTTC DSLAM cab) however this cabinet is located near the entrance to YALE PARK, WREXHAM. So the slow VDSL2 FTTC speeds for your landline is due to distance from the cabinet. See imjolly's post with the graph.

I'm afraid Openreach will not change your line to another cabinet - Please see the FAQs http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Are you sure that is cab 18. The nearest cab is not always the one to which you are connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
markiepoos
Message 8 of 9

Hello James-C, 

I am a little confused now because I have a green cabinet at the end of my street which I can see from my front door. I assume this green cabinet is to do with telephones / broadband?

Are you saying that my telephone line goes past this green cabinet to the cabinet in Yale Park, Wrexham which is about 1.5Kms away and not to a cabinet for some of the houses approximately 200/300 meters away, the other side of the main road from our postcode that get fast fiber speeds?

Thanks

Mark 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Does the cab look like either of these. 20130423_135623.jpg

You ou are not always connected to the cabinet nearest to you. You can check assuming a PCP there should be a number on the outside. It certainly is not cab 18

0 Ratings