cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rich5ltr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Locating a BT Cabinet

I wonder if there is a way of locating a specific BT Cabinet? I am trying to locate BLACKWATER 9 cabinet. It is not Fibre enabled so therefore does not appear on the lists of enabled cabinets. What I am tryng to do is establish how far it is away from my home. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Locating a BT Cabinet

Pick a nice day, wrap up warm and take a walk around your area or alternatively try using Google maps. The cabinet will have its number painted on it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

I've moved your post to the ADSL board as you state your cabinet is not fibre enabled.

Distance of the cab won't matter as ADSL is supplied from the exchange.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

It’s on the Junction of Fernhill Road and Hawley Green.

By the Leisure Centre.
Rich5ltr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for your help everyone, I know exactly where that is now! Reason I wondered is because BT have said there is no plans to upgrade it to Fibre and I wondered if the distance from the exchange was a factor? Or... if it's because it doesn't serve many buildings? Probably a dozen houses, a criket club, a community centre and the leisure centre. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

The distance between the Cabinet and the Exchange is irrelevant as the Fibre won’t necessarily come from Blackwater Exchange but the Parent Exchange that has the Head End in it, which could be 30 or 40km away.

If the cabinet only serves a small number of properties or they have long D-Side Lines there may be little point in putting a DSLAM in.

They’ll have to do something by 2025 though when they switch off the PSTN Network.