Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TUX
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Locking SNR possible ?

Hi,

My broadband speeds are awful and are being compounded by the high SNR which is obviously due to a poor line anyway.

I have a router that lets me "adjust" the SNR but its set very high at the exchange causing my low setting that's compensating bottom out and probably start the fight all over again.

The line never really stays up long enough to be considered stable so is it possible to have my line SNR locked to a set value and then I can tweak it to find the trade off speed vs reliability myself ?

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Locking SNR possible ?

High SNR is an indication that the line keeps disconnecting, or the router is being restarted often.

Provided there is no noise on your phone line, you need to leave everything alone for at least 10 days, and DLM will make the adjustments automatically, do not attempt to force any change, as it will just make things worse.

This page has a more comprehensive explanation Why has my speed dropped

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

are you connected to test socket with a filter to see if that stabilises your connection by eliminating your internal wiring and master faceplate.  try this even if you currently have a filtered master socket

when in test socket check for line noise   dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

The DLM controls the noise margin and can't be locked  all your adjustments to lower an already high noise margin are just making the matter worse

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I think the OP want to do the opposite, set a high SNRM to stabilise the line rather than endure a cycle of up and down by DLM. As far as I'm aware it is possible to spoof SNRM with some modems although fixing the underlying fault would be the preferable course of action.

Hmm, re-reading the original post I'm not entirely sure that is his intention.

0 Ratings
TUX
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for all your suggestions folks,

The main issue is I'm too far from the exchange and on a poor line, as a result the uptime on the line is frequently interrupted resetting the DLM again. I just wanted to know if it was possible to set the SNR to a fixed value then I could spoof it easier. I can double my speed and not really impact my line stability, hardly impressive though when we are talking about 1.1Mb to 2.0 Mb I know !!

If I reset my SNR to auto then have to wait 10 days for the line to retrain I'll honestly be looking at less than 1meg for the duration. 

Is the best I can ask for then is the profile to be reset ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

If you are setting a low SNRM on your modem, all you are doing is making matters worse, OK your speed will increase but stability will go down and defeat the object. Just leave the SNRM to auto.

Have a read of https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm rather than me trying to explain it here.

0 Ratings
TUX
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I'm not setting it low, just a wee bit lower as it makes quite a % difference to the speed.

I've set it to Auto and will suffer it as long as I can.

Thanks

0 Ratings