cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Loss of broadband service and weird voice fault

Broadband has gone off so I thought I'd investigate a bit more. We have an NTE5c with the clear IDC lockdown connector and Mk4 faceplate.

With the Mk4 faceplate fitted I get dial tone and the phone works fine.

Plugged in to the test socket - no dial tone. Plugged in through a microfilter to the test socket, no dial tone.

This has been tested and confirmed multiple times and with different phones, it is definite.

I know its a call to support, but wondered if anyone else has had this experience?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Loss of broadband service and weird voice fault

do you have any extension sockets connected to terminals 2&5 when you take faceplate off

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hello, thanks for the reply, no there are no extension sockets wired to the NTE5c.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@SamBora wrote:

Hello, thanks for the reply, no there are no extension sockets wired to the NTE5c.

Then the NTE 5C is incorrectly wired. I would guess that the incoming line is not connected to the terminals on the backplate, or the NTE has gone faulty.

When you dial 17070, do you get the correct number spoken back to you?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Thanks Keith_Beddoe, it is wired correctly, all 3 wires exactly as the picture.

We had a recent visit from an Openreach tech, to deal with an "imbalance" problem on the line. As part of that he spent time testing the NTE5, so I'd have hoped he was satisfied.

He fitted a new external termination box as the contacts in the old one were corroded.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@SamBora wrote:
Thanks Keith_Beddoe, it is wired correctly, all 3 wires exactly as the picture.

We had a recent visit from an Openreach tech, to deal with an "imbalance" problem on the line. As part of that he spent time testing the NTE5, so I'd have hoped he was satisfied.

He fitted a new external termination box as the contacts in the old one were corroded.

There should be nothing connected to those three wires, they are only there to connect extension wiring.

The symptoms you describe would indicate that for some reason, your incoming line is connected to the extension terminals, which would explain why broadband does not work, and you cannot get dial tone at the test socket.

There should be another cable coming into the NTE, probably at the back. That is where your main incoming line should be connected.

Whoever came from Openreach, did not do the wiring correctly.

You would have to take the NTE off the wall, and check if there is any wiring connected to the back terminals. There should be a single pair of wires, which should be your main incoming line.

Which BT Home hub are you using, and where is it plugged in?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Thanks again Keith_Beddoe, I will investigate but there is no extension wiring so it sounds like that is the incoming line.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@SamBora wrote:

Thanks again Keith_Beddoe, I will investigate but there is no extension wiring so it sounds like that is the incoming line.

Then that is why its not working, it is totally wrong.

You need to disconnect those wires, and connect the ones that went to 2 and 5, to the terminals behind the back of the NTE, where the line should come in.

I have not seen the what is behind the back part of those NTEs, but I expect there are a couple of connectors marked A and B.

Once that is done, you should get dial tone on the test socket, and replacing the filter section, should allow you to get broadband.

Who was it from BT who called Openreach out, as I assume that you have had no broadband since then, which is a very poor show, and I would be inclined to complain?

I assume the home hub was just flashing orange?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

The backplate of the socket has 2 terminals A&B as @Keith_Beddoe posted so just connect 2&5 either way round 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings