Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
designerjuice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 66

Low Speed after apparent fix

Hi there, 

Recently (The past 5 - 6 weeks) i have been experiencing very low internet connection speeds, im used to 3.30mb down and 0.80mb up and a ping of around 32 to 42.

2 weeks ago a made a call to BT technical support that helped me work out what was going on, i did the usualy line testing, using the tester socket and so on that lead them to send out a engineer who replaced the drop cable to the house as i live on a lane that only has one other house here and the cables are very old an poorly maintained even some of the cables vanish into the trees/branches at some points (Outside of the property boundries ofcourse).

After he left and did his final tests the line was fine again it was up to 4mb down and a good 0.90mbs (wireless test) up as the drop cable was now new so a boost in quality was kinda expected, the weather effected the quality oftern before it was replaced and sometimes when you used the phone in the poor weather you could hear crackles on the line.

I know the line is montored after a repair job like this but i have only ever seen it go down untill i'm back to the speed it was before the drop cabel was replaced.

After doing the line test recommented here i can see the speed is very low, I would'nt even call this broadband at the moment, and the IP profile now only says 1mb Max upload which can't be right as ive been consistantly having an uploading speed of 3 - 4mb for a few years now roughly 5 - 7, so instantly thats a potently error at the exchange.

Here are the results of the BT Test  (Tester Socket Wired)

And here is a noise test taken at the same time.

RSHub-NoiseMargin-20131119-032348.jpg

Hope this information helps, other tests show that speed arraving from the exchange is 1.15

Thank you 

Arron Davies

0 Ratings
65 REPLIES 65
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 66

Re: Low Speed after apparent fix

as you are on adsl2/2+ your profile is 88.2% of connection speed and changes immediately your connection speed changes..  the problem is your low conenction speed

can you post the adsl stats from your router please.

are you conencted to the test socket?  do you have other sockets apart from the master?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best done with corded phone   if cordless then dull hum normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
designerjuice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 66

Thank you for the reply, the router stats are

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:55:23
Downstream:1.12 Mbps
Upstream:497.3 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.4 dB / 13.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):50.3 dB / 31.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):11262 / 2501
CRC Events (Down/Up):2 / 336

I am connected to the tester socket and i have no other socket just the master.

When doing the quiet line test on my house phone that is a corded phone its atually quite crackly, like white noise i guess.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 66

can you go back to stats page and 'show detail' and post rest of error information please

if you have line noise on quiet line test then you need to report a phone fault to 151 or use the link with no mention of broadband   get noise fixed before broadband will improve 

phone faults

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
designerjuice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 66

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 02:47:36
Downstream:1.12 Mbps
Upstream:497.3 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.0 dB / 14.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):50.3 dB / 31.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):16977 / 2712
CRC Events (Down/Up):3 / 392
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):2 / 861
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):42 / 400

Thank you, I'll report the line fault now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 66

once you get rid of the line noise then come back and repost your stats and then see if it can be improved.  with your attenuation I would expect a conenction speed of about 4.5mb on good line with no noise

0 Ratings
designerjuice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 66

The lady on the phone said the line was fine though it was crackeling when i was talking to her, The bb connection dropping when the phone is in use is very common too.

Thank you for you support so far

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 66

does the connection drop when you get a phone call?  when you make a call?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 66

just be persistant and request an engineer if you an hear the noise at the test socket there should be no charge
0 Ratings
designerjuice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 66

The connection drops on incomming and out going calls, a good 9 out of 10 times. After speaking to the lady on the phone the router has been having a connection fit where the bb connection has been coming and going every mins or so, so im kinda struggeling to use the internet at all now.

Would having an engineer out again so soon be any point? as there was one here when the drop cable was replaced and he tested before he left.

Thank Guys

0 Ratings