Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Low Speeds/Unstable/Ancient Socket

Hi all,

Back again with another property. Last one was fixed thanks to the help of Paddy so hoping something can be looked into here too.

In our farm here the internet is quite poor. I realize we aren't going to get great speeds since we are probably about 2-3 miles from the exchange but still we do get it quite bad, and I am guessing that the ancient 70's style socket doesn't help.

I can't get the full line stats on this HH5 so posting some things from the event-log too.

22:53:35, 12 May.( 100.840000) DSL noise margin: 20.00 dB upstream, 14.20 dB downstream
22:53:35, 12 May.( 100.750000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 3200 Kbps downstream

We're getting a lot of the following errors too:

BLOCKED 1 more packets (because of Packet invalid in connection)

As for our line stats there doesn't seem to be anything besides the following (i.e. can't 'show more')

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 11:22:14
Downstream:3.125 Mbps
Upstream:

448 Kbps

Please don't ask me to let the connection stay stable for three days; as mentioned, the line is unstable and drops, so a three day connection doesn't happen often.

As for the BT WholeSale test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.5 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3.2 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3 Mbps

I would like to see our CRC/HRC errors but our HH5 doesn't show them which is a pain.

Our Latency type is Interleaved which is understandable because our line is unstable, but this is something I'd like to get fixed or for someone to look into to see if we can improve anything either ourselves or with a BT Engineer.

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Low Speeds/Unstable/Ancient Socket

Should also mention I did a quiet line test (not in the test socket since we don't have a master socket with a test socket) and heard a faint background hiss but nothing major to be honest.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

try going tohub manager then troubleshooting then logs and post stats

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

if you can hear hiss on quiet line test that is certainly not helping your broadband and probably needs a phone engineer visit

if your connection is unstable then you will never be able to maintain your 7/8mb connection speed as the drops in connection will trigger the DLM to take action to try an stabilise your linr by increasing noise margin above the norm of 6db resulting in a drop in connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Hi imjolly, thanks for the reply.

From the test:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL MaxUp to 3--1.5 to 5Available
Fixed Rate2----Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

There are no left in jumpers available on this line. This line is on a Market A Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

As for event log, there are no stats, all I am getting are packet invalid in connection errors. I prefer not to post them as the contain my IP address. There are no stats on the event log that I can see, just a huge list of errors.

I understand the noise will affect things, but I am not certain if the noise is because of me or the line itself since I cannot access a test socket as there isn't one....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

sorry it should have been troubleshooting then helpdesk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

You're connecting at the top end of the estimated speed for your line.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@Webby

if you check previous thread you can see has speed of 7/8mb far better than checker estimate

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

@Webby Am I? I'm getting download speeds of 0.5mpbs on this line. Nowhere near the top estimates. 

@imjolly Sorry if I wasn't clear, this is a different property (and thus a different line). My old property has been dutifully fixed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

ok so maybe speed is correct  can you post the stats  troubleshooting/helpdesk if hh5

are you using wired conenction for btspeedtster

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

The estimates relate to sync speed.

However, with an SNR of 14, it does indicate there's room for improvement.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings