cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rutberg
Message 1 of 8

Low speed on new BT connection, low SNR and low Line attenuation

Hi!

I live in a newlybuild connected development to WEWMAI exchange. I've ordered broadband, seeing that Fiber isn't offered at my number. I'm currently in contact with BT support, with an engineer booked for friday, to hopefully be able to solve my issues. 2nd visit though, and I can't really get a straight answer what he did the last time (he didn't visit my flat)

One interesting detail is that there isn't any given main socket that matches any popular description or picture. There is a total of 4 sockets in the flat. Two in a shared outlet in the living room, one in a single outlet in the living room and one in the bedroom. When installing, the engineer explained that they where all connected in a loop. I tried to understand if it was in series or in paralell (From my own days as a 1st line dsl support customer service employee, albeit in Sweden) but I couldn't get an answer to that question either.

The issue at hand is that I've never synded at anything faster than 3.04 Mbps in combination with 3-4 dropouts per day with the sync speed continously dropping on the re-sync as the day turns into evening.

This is my last reconnect;

19:58:43, 23 Aug. ADSL link Up: Down Rate=2680Kbps, Up Rate=984Kbps, SNR Margin Down=6.30dB, SNR Margin Up=6.20dB

This is the best I've seen in the log;

00:01:26, 01 Jan. ADSL link Up: Down Rate=4700Kbps, Up Rate=1028Kbps, SNR Margin Down=6.20dB, SNR Margin Up=10.90dB (That date though?)

12:09:34, 22 Aug. ADSL link Up: Down Rate=3700Kbps, Up Rate=992Kbps, SNR Margin Down=6.30dB, SNR Margin Up=6.60dB (With a less unix inspired date)

This is my current status:

Product name:
BT Hub 6A
Serial number:
+084316+NQ62352491
Firmware version:
SG4B100021EC
Firmware updated:
12/05/16
Board version:
Gui version:
DSL uptime:
0 Days, 0 Hours 47 Minutes 37 Seconds
Data rate:
984 bps / 2.19 kbps
Maximum data rate:
984 / 2680
Noise margin:
6.5 / 6.1
Line attenuation:
Signal attenuation:
237 / 395
VPI / VCI:
0/38
Modulation:
G_992_3_ANNEX_A
Latency type:
Fast Path

As I understand the SNR isn't good. But the line attenuatiuon is quite good, and indicates that a greater speed than that achieved should be possible.

Can anyone share insights into what could be a possible reason to why I'm not achieving a greater speed nor any stability?

When talking to customer support I have to spend more time on battling/dodging the "But we only promise 2Mbit"-question than actually understanding what issues there could be and how I, or anyone else, could act to improve it. I'm just glad that they decide to send someone out that hopefully has a greater understanding of the issue than I have.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Low speed on new BT connection, low SNR and low Line attenuation

The normal noise margin is about 6db so your noise margin is about right. However with your attenuation I would expect about 9mb on a good line

i think there may be a problem with the internal wiring and trying to find where openreach cable enters your home and then find master socket will help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rutberg
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for getting back so quickly! (And clearing up the SNR, I though it should be in the region of 4-5) I'm also suspecting the same thing, but in the building guide (I was the first to move in to an apartment complex of a total of 60 flats) they state that the main socket is in the living room, which is quite confusing seeing that there is a total of three outlets divided over two sockets that matches with that description.

All of them however are recessed metallic/platstic numbers without any indication on which outlet is supposed to be the master one. And this place is like 6 floors with some kind of BT connection point in the basement. I have no means to track any cables.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Then you need to look at back of socket as master will be different to an extension socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rutberg
Message 5 of 8

Good thought, thanks. So, here's my outlets:

Single, living room

File 23-08-2016, 21 27 35.jpeg

Double, livingroom (A, then B from left)

File 23-08-2016, 21 28 58.jpeg

Single, bedroom:File 23-08-2016, 21 30 02.jpegHigh res: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2ib1vbpmd7ktfqt/AACdNAMkdIEcIA29MkS8atsRa?dl=0

Could it be living room, A?

0 Ratings
rutberg
Message 6 of 8

Everything seems to be wired the same way. Pin 2, 3 and 5, all terminals wired with two leads, none with any distinguishing features.
0 Ratings
rutberg
Message 7 of 8

Sneaky. Found what must be the last outlet, in the chain and in my flat.

Bedroom 2

File 24-08-2016, 07 51 27.jpeg

0 Ratings
rutberg
Message 8 of 8

While looking through the pictures, I noted that the Living Room single socket seems to have a yellow ring capacitor behind it. This should be the one! When I get home I'll do a new trial from that socket, possibly doing the ring wire disconnect if that could give further improvements. 

If I don't have any other equipment plugged in, is it only the the one in that socket I need to bother with?

0 Ratings