cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annesley23
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 37

MODERATOR HELP REQUIRED - Broadband continues to reduce in speed over a period of months

Hello,

Please can someone help. Ive had Bt broadband for over 4 years, for the main part of that time i have achieved a download speed of 5.5mbps. Over the past 3 months, my speed has reduced to just under 3.0mbps.

PLease find my broadband details below, i would really appreciate somebody's help on this matter as i cannot face using the phone support.

Many Thanks.

Mike Hughes

ADSL line status

Connection information

Line state Connected

Connection time 0 days, 0:04:11

Downstream 3,490 Kbps

Upstream 980 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation ITU-T G.992.5

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.4 dB / 5.9 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 51.0 dB / 30.6 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local) 0

Loss of Signal (Local) 0

Loss of Power (Local) 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up) 7101 / 4294967287

CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / N/A

HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0

Error Seconds (Local) 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed

3.12 Mbps

0 Mbps 4 Mbps

Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.12 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 3.08 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed

0.83 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps

Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.83Mbps

Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.

It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.

If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: MODERATOR HELP REQUIRED - Broadband continues to reduce in speed over a period of months

you posted almost the same thing back in november last year but never posted the further information requested

your conenction time is only 4min is that due to manual reset or hub dropping connection?

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
annesley23
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 37

Re: MODERATOR HELP REQUIRED - Broadband continues to reduce in speed over a period of months

Hi, yes thats right. I had the ame issue back in November 2012, soon after there had been some sort of upgrade on the exchange (dont quote me on that!).

The broadband is connected to the master socket, via a filter, into the test socket.

The connection time was due to me reseting the hub, as per the instructions on the btspeedchecker page. Although i am always losing connection on a consistant basis.

I just carried out the quiet line test, with a BT cordless phone. I could hear a slight crackle all the way through. interestingly, I lost connection to the broadband when i made the phone call to 17070. This can happen quite a lot with incoming/outgoing calls.

Thanks for your reply.

Mike.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 37

if you can hear a crackle and you are dropping connection on incoming and outgoing calls then that sounds like a high resistence fault and you need to report a phone fault to 151 with no mention of broadband.. get that fixed and it will certainly help your broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
annesley23
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 37

Ok, I will give them a call now.

Many thanks.

Mike.

0 Ratings
annesley23
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 37

Hi,

Just spoke to the help desk (151), with no mention of broadband!!!! they have ran a line test with the phone only plugged in and then again with the broadband and phone plugged in. Both times they say there is no fault on the line.

They did say i could have an engineer out, but if the fault was found on my side they would charge me £99 or something like that. I declined the engineer when he started saying that if they found a faulty router or filter, i would be charged. I pointed out that BT had supplied these, and asked why i should be held accountable for their faulty equipment.

Please can you continue to help.

Thanks.

Mike.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 37

if your router is conencted to test socket with new filter then try connecting phone to filter and make a call or phone home and see if connection is still dropping

the warning about the callout charge is standard

0 Ratings
annesley23
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 37

Sorry, i think im a little confused. The filter is connected to the test socket, and the telephone and broadband are both plugged into the filter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 37

then phone home from mobile and see if conenction drops? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

that is because the charge is raised by Openreach to BT Retail your provider and BT then pass it on this is the same with all providers
0 Ratings