Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nickouk
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

Major/Frequent Broadband Issues for Past 2 months- engineer couldn't solve

Hi, I'm hoping a moderator on this page (or someone else) can help me with the major broadband problems I've been having for the past monht and a half/two months. I've spoken multiple times with help staff over the phone (who were largely worse than useless) and had an engineer come round, who, wihle being a nice guy who stayed for around 30/45 minutes trying to solve the problem, couldn't even find out what the problem was. He just ended up resetting something (it was a 3 letter acronym, but I can't remember what it was- sorry) because the internet was much slower than it should've been. After his visit, it was much better for a few days then resumed suffering from the issues I am aobut to explain below:

When my girlfriend and I got BT Infinity in late December (with a Home Hub 5, from memory) it was great for about a month; after that, it would have frequent drop-outs (orange flashing light, turning into a solid orange light with a flashing red light below). When it was having an iffy spell, it would be on for thirty seconds then off for two minutes with the aforementioned colours on the router- rinse and repeat. This is obviously not what we're paying for, but, as I said above, the engineer wasn't able to even locate the problem, let alone solve it. Last few days, the problem seems to have changed slightly. There are very few full-on dropouts, but the internet is cripplingly slow no matter what I do, to the level where it's a struggle to even watch a video on Youtube, for example.

Throughout all of this, I am getting the error message (even when the internet is just about working): "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings". This is one of the many error messages I was getting before, with 'the default gateway is not available' previously being the most common. I have tried ethrnet cable and wireless- no change. I have unplugged and plugged everything back in, including into the line socket- no change. There is no wiring damage and we haven't damaged the equipment. What can I do to solve this problem?

Sorry for my rambling message and thanks- I will gladly answer any and all follow-up questions if it leads me to getting the internet I've paid for, because right now we're on an 18 month contract and the internet we're getting is utterly dire.

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 32

Re: Major/Frequent Broadband Issues for Past 2 months- engineer couldn't solve

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

On the Home Hub 5, can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
nickouk
Contributor
Message 3 of 32

1. Product Name: HomeHub4 2. Serial number: +076281+1634001263 3. Firmware version: v0.07.04.01235-BT (Type B) Last updated 13/3/2017 4. Board version: 01B 5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:23:24 6. Data Rate: 1148 / 572 7. Maximum Data Rate: 1140 / 23528 8. Noise Margin: 9.4 / 36.4 9. Line Attenuation: 9.2 / 13.5 10. Signal Attenuation: 9.6 / 15.6 11. Data sent/received: 2.0 MB / 5.3 MB 12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Sorry, it appears it's home hub 4 not 5. I don't have a landline phone, so I can't try the first thing you said.

0 Ratings
nickouk
Contributor
Message 4 of 32

Number 13 says "BT Wifi: No". I don't know if that's relevent...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 32

@nickouk wrote:

Sorry, it appears it's home hub 4 not 5. I don't have a landline phone, so I can't try the first thing you said.

Without a phone, its not going to be possible to help.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/No-Internet-and-horrible-bt-customer-service...

This also applies to BT Infinity.

Get hold of a wired phone, and then report back here.

If you have a home hub 4, then you must also have a white Openreach modem, as the home hub 4 does not work on BT Infinity.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
nickouk
Contributor
Message 6 of 32

OK, I will seek out a wired landline phone and plug it in over the next couple of days- then come back here and message you. Thanks a lot for your continued help.

I definitely have infinity, i only said it was 4 because the info I copied to you above stated the product name as 'BTHomeHub4'

EDIT: I just went and checked the box and it says 4 on it. However I have BT infinity and don't have any modem to go with it...

0 Ratings
nickouk
Contributor
Message 7 of 32

OK, i'm a bit of a technophobe, maybe I don't have infinity, maybe I just have 'unlimited broadband'. Sorry for confusion. I will get a phone over next few days and come back to you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 32

@nickouk wrote:

OK, i'm a bit of a technophobe, maybe I don't have infinity, maybe I just have 'unlimited broadband'. Sorry for confusion. I will get a phone over next few days and come back to you

I have moved this thread to the normal broadband board.

If you update this thread when you have checked  with a phone, then one of the forum members should be able to help.

0 Ratings
nickouk
Contributor
Message 9 of 32

Hi, I've acquired and plugged in a phone; I've done the quiet line test as requested. It isn't completely silent; there is a slight fuzzy noise on the line. Hopefully you or another knowledgable moderator on this new board can reply and help; thanks a lot.

The plugging in of the phone doesn't seem to have helped the connection as of itself so far.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 32

you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings