Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickouk
Contributor
Message 11 of 32

Re: Major/Frequent Broadband Issues for Past 2 months- engineer couldn't solve

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I will phone that number on Monday to report the noise on the line.

Just to let you know (in case this is relevant) the engineer I described the visit of above did 30/45 minutes worth of tests (including the quiet line test) and didn't find any sort of fault that he could determine. However he did acknowlewdge that the broadband connection was showing that it did have problems over the previous few days.

Anyway, I shall report the noise on the line on Monday.

Thanks again

Nick

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 32

the sooner you report the fault the faster it will be resolved
0 Ratings
nickouk
Contributor
Message 13 of 32

Hi, I just phoned the number you suggested and ended up getting through to an automated fault checking thing from BT, which seemingly did the exact checks the engineer did and the same one the customer service person did over the phone. Just like before, it found no fault, and then brought out the jargon about 'if we have to send an engineer, 129 pound charge etc.'

Should I call back and try to report the crackling noise on the quiet line test to a real person?

Or is there something else that would be my next step?

Thanks for your continued help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 32

Should I call back and try to report the crackling noise on the quiet line test to a real person

Yes
0 Ratings
nickouk
Contributor
Message 15 of 32

I haven't yet called them- here's why: when I unplug the router from the same socket that the phone is plugged in to there is absolutely no noise on the quiet line test. Does this mean the problem is somewhere between the filter and the router?

Would it be a good idea to try a different cable and make sure the problem isn't in my wiring before I bother BT about it? Is there anything else in that part of the set-up (forgive my lack of technical knowledge) that might need replacing other than the cable between filter and router? (i.e. the filter/router itself)

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 32

@nickouk wrote:

I haven't yet called them- here's why: when I unplug the router from the same socket that the phone is plugged in to there is absolutely no noise on the quiet line test. Does this mean the problem is somewhere between the filter and the router?

I would suspect that you have something wrong with the way you have things wired up. The microfilter is there to filter out the broadband from the phone, so the phone has to be connected to the microfilter.

Connect things up as shown below, and see if there is still noise on the phone.

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings
nickouk
Contributor
Message 17 of 32

I already have it wired up exactly like that- with the phone and router plugged into their appropriate slots in the microfilter, and the microfilter plugged in to the master socket with nothing in between. It was just my general technophobia that made me make it sound like there was something else- that diagram you linked is exactly how I have it.

So, does that suggest I should try a different dsl cable, or a different microfilter, or both?

The only difference with the picture is that I haven't taken the front off the master socket; the microfilter is plugged into the slot on the front of the master socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 32

@nickouk wrote:

The only difference with the picture is that I haven't taken the front off the master socket; the microfilter is plugged into the slot on the front of the master socket.

You will need to do that, just in case there is any wiring connected to the back of it, or the bottom part is making poor contact with the test socket behind.

So please remove that bottom section, and plug directly into the test socket. This would eliminate any possibility of the problem being due to your own internal wiring.

0 Ratings
nickouk
Contributor
Message 19 of 32

Hi Keith,

I've done what you asked, plugging the phone directly into the test socket indicated below (i had to trim the picture because the file size was too big). I then did a quiet line test and there was still a slight crackling noise; funnily enough, a couple of quiet line tests I've done over the past few days have been completely silent, but the internet is still extremely slow.

Is there any way for me to reset the speed of my broadband? Because the problem for the last week or so has not been that it is cutting out, but that it has been cripplingly slow. I've tried holding the reset button on the router for ten seconds but when it came back on, the speed was just as slow.

Thank you for your continued help20170323_131555.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 32

@nickouk

Could you please provide the current home hub information again, like you posted on this post

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Major-Frequent-Broadband-Issues-for-Past-2-m...

You were showing a maximum date rate of 23528Kbs but a very high downstream noise margin of 36.4dB, which would suggest that you were in a banded speed profile at that time.

0 Ratings