cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willy456
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Massively reduced broadband speeds

So about a month ago our hub started rebooting frequently pretty much every day. Then about a week ago we noticed our broadband speed was around 4 times slower than it usually is (normally get around 3.8Mbits/s, down to around 1Mbit/s). The hub is no longer resetting all the time so I'm assuming the DLM has detected a fault somewhere and placed us on a low banded speed profile to stabilise the line.

Here are our hub stats..

BT home hub stats.jpg

Where do we start in diagnosing where the problem is? Thanks.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Massively reduced broadband speeds

From your stats it does look like you are in a banded profile due to your drops in connection

try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

can you connect to test socket with filter to eliminate your internal wiring as causing a problem. When connected to test socket check that there is no dial tone still any extension socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ndmarston
Message 3 of 18

How do I contact BT by email to report a drastically reduced broadband speed? I can no longer watch the sports channels I am paying for. I went through the "Chat" option, absolutely useless. No help whatsoever, unless you just want to be told to reset your Hub multiple times, with no improvement in service.

0 Ratings
ndmarston
Message 4 of 18

My speed has also drastically reduced. Can I contact BT by email to report this. Tried "Chat" but that was absolutely useless.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Have you tried quiet line test? Have you tried connecting to test socket as I suggested

if you get engineer visit and it is found the problem with your connection is something internal then you will be charged £130 for engineer call out but if problem outside your home then there should be no charge. 

Providing the information will help forum members help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ndmarston
Message 6 of 18

No I haven't. But nothing has changed. The internet was fine until a couple of days ago, then it stopped, came back on, off agin, back on, but at a reduced rate. I don't see how anything has changed from my side, no new devices, no change to anything, other than the signal. So it is something external. Anyway, not sure I have a test socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

You need to check quiet line test and also connect to test socket which is behind the bottom half of your master sockettest socket.jpg.

you need to make sure problem is not in your home or your wiring otherwise you will be charged the call out fee of £130. Alternatively phone 151 and report the fault and hope problem is not in your home

ndmarston
Message 8 of 18

OK Thanks. But can I contact BT by email?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

You need to phone 151 to contact customer services but you would be better trying the checks before contacting customer services

0 Ratings
willy456
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

So I tried the quiet line test, there was some faint crackling. What would I be looking for with the test socket check?
0 Ratings