Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bucknut
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Master Socket Move Or Extension.

Hi
Please help thank you.

Although long winded, the following offers clarity to someone with a bit of time.

My fiber speed-internet is provided by Sky and, is a copper wired connection that comes underground owned by BT, into the house to the master socket. (house is around 20 years old, just to give you an idea what kind of cable comes into the house).

Proposition. I want to have an extension 16m or 52 feet long from/to the Master Socket, - from its now permanent position running the extension cable/wire from the master socket, outside, around the of the house then back inside the house, to a point very close to the router.
Or, have the master socket moved outright, as above, the cable/wire run externally, then back inside the house putting the New master socket with NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4 2017 with RJ-11 and RJ-45 on the dry wall very close to the router.

But My Requirments from The Master Socket and or extension. I want the fastest speed up and download, with the smallest amount of interference, in this scenario. I know some will say do either one, as it will make no noticeable, or a tiny amount of difference. I rarely say "It's not the best but it will do." Why is it better to do one or the other? To use say cat 7 cable/wire as the extension what would BT use for best results (what wire/cable is best for the job?).
I know some will say do either one, as it will make no noticeable, or a tiny amount of difference. Why is it better to do one or the other? To use say cat 7 cable/wire as the extension what would BT use for best results.(what wire/cable is best for the job?).

I need a connection for a phone, (RJ-11 connector) next to the router.
1 connection to the router (RJ-11) an ethernet running plumb vertical from the router to a bedroom socket then/or straight to PC. Running externally, tacked to the outside wall of the house the house up to a socket connecting straight to the PC in a bedroom, without any brakes, connecting to a socket on the wall, next to the router).
An ethernet cable, cat 7, running plumb vertical outdoors, from the router to a bedroom socket or straight to PC through the wall. Running externally, tacked to the outside wall of the house the up to a socket connecting straight to the PC in a bedroom, without any brakes, connecting to a socket on the wall, next to the router).
Running externally, tacked to the outside wall of the house up into & onto a dry wall, connecting without any brakes, or connecting to a socket on the wall, then the PC.

Can I change the face plate and connect cat cable myself from an outdated NTE5A only, to a BN 2017 BT Openreach Telephone Master NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4 or a newer one? My choice for NTE5c MK2 is for the better-made filtering also is 2017 model. (as long as it's my side of the "test the line/connection plug hole" where you put your phone into the master socket to test line)
Is it a must that the BT or certified engineer has to do it?
Can I make these Extensions avoiding upsetting BT? (I feel competent to do so with the correct tools)
What cable to use for the Extension?
What would be a ballpark figure for the work and parts, for BT and private, accredited certified engineer?
Approximately how much would/will I pay for parts and cable?
Or just call out BT for a job in six months and a £300 + bill?
Either, BT white shielded 4 pairs single copper core with draw string (But it's not designed for outside or is it?). I am of the understanding but can be corrected, that the white outside shielding is not UV or weather resistant etc, or is it? I'm guessing the best extension cable for the job would be the cat7, for the aluminum shielding etc, that it would be the answer? Or would it be cat 5?

I will be making cat 7 cable lengths from and to the wall socket to, Sky Router Box. Sky router Box to PC and wall phone socket to the Phone. There's one more, an extension from an upstairs (overhead to the router) bedroom, running from the bedroom to outside, down the wall, back inside to socket, or direct to the sky router.
I'm guessing it would be the cat7 for the aluminum shielding would be the answer.?
Thank you!!!

Yours > Sharky

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Master Socket Move Or Extension.

You need to discuss this with Sky, as they are your ISP and can organise an Openreach (not BT) engineer.

BT do not own the cabling, Openreach do.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Bucknut
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Poo Poo Pooo 😛 I will copy & paste to sky tech forum then...... gonna keep in touch with this post just to see if anyone has a lightbulb moment for me in the meantime. I remember the days I first started computing some 40 years ago at school. 

My first 56k squark box, I see nothing has changed hehe he looking around this forum still peeps with why is my bb not working QQ. It comes to he who w8's,  nn then.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @Bucknut and thanks for posting.

@Webby is correct. If you need any cabling moved then you'll need to contact your current provider who will arrange that via an Openreach enginer appointment.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings