cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Move socket

I have a BT OpenReach socket with one RJ11 port only. Removing the initial cover reveals a test port. This socket is connected via a wire to an entry point (master socket?) by my front door. Can I move my OpenReach socket to a more convenient location? I wouldn't need to change any wiring or anything, the wire going in to the OpenReach socket is external and accessible i.e. it is not inside the walls or anything.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Move socket

The socket you describe ( with a test port behind the cover ) is the master socket , there should only ever be one master socket, the wire from this towards the front door probably goes to a block terminal where the external cable is connected to the internal cable ( so it’s not a socket ), if it is a socket , capable of a accepting a phone cord plug, then your internal set up is incorrectly wired.

Stricky speaking you shouldn’t interfere with this, but it isn’t rocket science, and should you mess up then your provider can arrange a fault visit ( although that would likely be chargeable ), if all you want to do is rewire from the block terminal near door to a new location for the the master socket , then if using a new internal cable , be aware that cheap internal cable may affect the speed your broadband delivers 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Move socket

Thank you, that's really helpful. Yes, the terminal near my front door sounds like it is a block terminal. The master socket is then connected to that via a visible white cable and screwed to the wall in a weird place. The wire to the Master Socket is lose and isn't even stapled to the wall. So all I was thinking of doing was unscrewing the master socket and moving it to a more convenient location, using the original wire, no new wiring added in any way. Looks like I would need to unscrew the first cover, then I can get access to the internal screws, remove those, THEN I will be able to get to the screws fixing it to the wall. Take it off, put it all back together and relocate the socket.

0 Ratings