cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ScorpyJ21
Message 1 of 12

My Upload speed has been 0.39 for over a week. This is unworkable.

Hi. New to BT community. Have tried the sugested solutions to slow broadband speed however I think this is low enough to be considered a problem. We have been using a BT ruter 5 for around 4 months. While the speed has never been amazing with 2 devices, a week and a half ago, download speed has dropped to 3.56 MBPS and uplaod is now 0.39 consistently on all devices. 

This is in the same room as the ruter. the speed is the same mid day as it is at 1AM. The connection drops during phonecalls. Download trouble has not been too noticable, managing to stream on 2 devices with minimal buffering. However upload has been near impossible, with files as small is 8MB proving too dificult and beeing time out on many platforms and video uploads being hopeless. This is interferring with my work as I have people waiting on files I can not send. 

I thought I'd try asking the community before I made a formal complaint. Hopefully someone will be able to help with this. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: My Upload speed has been 0.39 for over a week. This is unworkable.

Welcome to this user forum.

I assume you are on normal broadband, judging by the speed.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Can you please provide the connection information requested below.

Router Stats
The information contained within your router management pages can really help others diagnose technical issues. To post these stats, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.254 or BThomehub.home. Navigate to the 'Troubleshooting' Tab and then click on 'Helpdesk', you will then need to enter the admin password which can be found on the sticker on the back of BT Home Hub 4 and 5. BT Home hub 3 will have the sticker on the underside of the router.

When using a Hub 3, you will see an option at the bottom right hand corner to select 'full details'. click on this, copy the info displayed and post the results. If using a BT Home Hub 4 or 5 navigate to 'Troubleshooting' then to 'Logs'. You will then find two lines which will state 'DSL noise margin' and 'DSL line rate', copy this info and include this in your post.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

As connection is dropping during phone calls have you tried replacing the filter?  Check that all sockets in use have a filter - unless you have a filtered master socket

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to eliminate your extension wiring and fa ceplate as causing your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ScorpyJ21
Message 4 of 12

Just replaced the filter today. No idea if this has fixed the phone problem as we haven't recieved a phonecall but it has done nothing for my up and download speed. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Try phoning home from your mobile and see if connection drops. Need to see information @Keith_Beddoe requested

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ScorpyJ21
Message 6 of 12

Acording to the test, download is within range at 3-3.5, however no estimate is given for upload. 

The static test shows very little static, barely more than white noise. 

Product name:

BT Home Hub

Serial number:+068340+NQ82168846
 Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.32.1.3 (Type A) Last updated 14/09/18
 Board version:BT Hub 4A
 ADSL uptime:0 days, 04:33:26
 Bandwidth:792 / 5016
 Data sent/received:5.7 MB / 65.0 MB
 Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
 BT Wi-fi:Yes
 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-K89N
 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-K89N
 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
 Firewall:Default
0 Ratings
ScorpyJ21
Message 7 of 12

Called house phone. Connection drops after 40 seconds. I've provided the information now. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

@ScorpyJ21 wrote:

Called house phone. Connection drops after 40 seconds. I've provided the information now. 

Provided you are connected up as shown below, the you have an external line fault, possibly a high resistance fault. The upload frequency range is also more susceptible  to noise, and tends to cause a connection drop. Have you run a line test via fault reporting tool?

adsl_test.jpg

I assume you do not have a fibre connection showing on your street cabinet, and only have normal broadband available?

0 Ratings
ScorpyJ21
Message 9 of 12

No fiber connection. I actually hadn't removed the face plate to use the test plug. Just have, like shown. The download is now 4.12 but the upload practically unchanged at 0.49

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@ScorpyJ21 wrote:

No fiber connection. I actually hadn't removed the face plate to use the test plug. Just have, like shown. The download is now 4.12 but the upload practically unchanged at 0.49

The download speed has increased, so that may indicate an issue with your internal wiring.

Now you are plugged into the test socket, does the Internet still disconnect when you ring your phone?

Also, if you have any other phone sockets, can you check that there is no dial tone on them, while you are plugged into that test socket?

Any extension wiring should come from the back of the bottom section, as shown below.

back_master_ext.jpg