cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dian
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

My router is suffering spates of continual crashes.

Go to solution

I have had an engineer to my home several times, the last only a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I am still experiencing major problems with my connection.

I have recently kept a log of the issue so you can see what is happening. Having worked fine since the engineer last visited, on 6th September the router crashed at 1957H, 2017H and 2202H, after which I went to bed.
On 7th September I rang BT broadband support just befre 0900H, they performed some tests and refreshed the line which then started working properly.

On 10th September the router crashed at 1812H.

On 11th September the router crashed at 1156H and 1218H. At this point I removed the faceplate of the master socket and plugged the router microfilter into the master socket, the engineer having left it plugged in externally.
All was well until on the 15th September the router crashed at 1351H and 1408H. The router would no stay up at all so I switched it off at the mains, switching it back on at 1519H after which it crashed at 1604H but then worked fine for a few days.

On the 18th September, the router crashed at 1405H and 1409H at which point I switched it off at the mains until 1600H. It crashed repeatedly and after three attempts to discuss the situation with the live chat support (resulting in three disconnections due to router crashes), I rang broadband support who changed something (one is never told what) and the line settled down. They arranged for an engineer to visit but the following day they rang my answering machine to say that as the fault was fixed, the engineer had been cancelled.

On the 20th September, the router started crashing at about 1930H and crashed repeatedly until at 2016H I gave up and switched it off at the mains. At 2135 I switched the router on again and it repeatedly crashed until 2148, then crashed at 2205H, 2215H, 2226H, 2236H and 2241H at which point it settled down and worked fine until I went to bed at 0045H.

Obviously I can only log router crashes when I am actually trying to use the internet, the actual crashes might be much greater in number.

This is a home hub 4 which I got to try and cure router crashes on the hub 3 which had been going on since March this year.

It seems BT can't resolve this and it's looking like they're not even going to try to resolve it.  If anyone has any similar experience I'd be delighted to know what cured it 🙂

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: My router is suffering spates of continual crashes.

Go to solution

Hi.  Between January and March this year we had 150+ broadband outages lasting between 10 minutes and 8 hours.  BT Openreach were sent a few times but gave evrything aclean bill of health.  Senior BT technical agents tried to blame everything form our domestic electrical wiring and devices (our elecrtrician and a BT REIN guy said that was rubbish) or something as simple as another house with a faulty kettle (!) somewhere along the line between my house and the cable.  The Openreach engineers dismissed those ideas.

In the end we saw no progress after 3 months so tried swapping our Smarthub for an older Homehub 5..... and we have a stable broadband connection with just a few minor outages for four months now.

So it may be worth swapping your hub.  For all of BT's expert explanations it was us deciding to try swapping the hub that restored our service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @dian

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

Sorry for the problems you're having with your broadband.  I appreciate the time you have already spent trying to get this sorted out.  As you have been speaking with my colleagues and you're no further forward we can pick this up from here and help sort this out.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dian
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

You have my deepest understanding and sympathy.  Personally I've had to move my router to the kitchen, where the main socket is, which has cost me the expense of a TP link and five USB connectors to connect my devices, which are not of course in the kitchen.  BT also sold me a hub 4 for the delivery charge of £10 which might seem reasonable but it didn't solve the problem.  Off my own bat I connected the hub to the mains via a UPS which didn't improve the situation one iota.  I can look at my router stats and see the crashes are logged, one would imagine BT could discover why these logged crashes are happening but they've never even looked at my router stats.  I might dig around in the cupboards and see how many old routers I have and try them one by one, thank you for the suggestion.

If you have a stable connection with an old router, I would suggest the other router is either faulty or ot fit for purpose, in which case you could return it to BT for a refund.

0 Ratings
dian
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

I tried to reply to you in a private message as on your profile but it said there was invalid HTML in my message, it had corrected it, click to try again.  When I clicked to try again it said I had reached my limit for private messages and to try again later.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@dian  You need to use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my or @RobbieMac's forum profile to send in your details not the private message feature. You can find the link by clicking on my username it's in the center of the screen.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @dian,

Thank you for sending in your details. I gave your home number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today.

I've ran a few checks on your connection and its picking up a fault. Can you try connecting your router directly to the test socket as this will help to rule out any issues with the internal wiring.

I reported the fault through to our suppliers for further investigation and I'll follow up with you tomorrow as soon as I have an update.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
dian
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

My router has been connected to the test socket permanently for some months but by way of variety I've put the face plate back on the socket and plugged the router in the normal way.  When connected via the test socket I had a speed of 5.8 download and 1.8 upload ping 27.  Connected in the normal way I now have a speed of 19.0 and 1.0 ping 19.  Interestingly, this is via a different server.  I am of course keeping records.  It is not possible to ring me on the phone without a prior arrangement because of all the phone scammers, my ringers are permanently switched off unless Im expecting a call.  Email works fine.  Thank you for your help so far, things do seem to be improving.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @dian,

Thank you for posting back. I did do a reset yesterday to help improve your speeds and I can see that the sync speed has increased to 20 Mbps. The good thing is the connection has remained stable and no drop outs at all following the reset.

I do think it would be a good idea to monitor the connection over the next few days. I'll follow up with you again on Friday to see how the connection is performing.

If you notice any issues in the meantime, please post back and I'll take a look at this for you.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
dian
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you, so far it's been perfect.  Have you any idea what might have caused the problem?

0 Ratings