cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: Neighbours have fast broadband with yourselves and I have only been offered 3mb guaranteed packa

Go to solution

No. 

It is the distance from the cab that counts towards speed. You are to far from cabinet. You are not an openreach customer so you probably will not get a reply writing to openreach.  As already posted openreach will not move you to a different cab just to improve your connection speed

There numerous posts on forum like yours

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 30

Re: Neighbours have fast broadband with yourselves and I have only been offered 3mb guaranteed packa

Go to solution

Neither cabinet is full and VDSL is available from both. As @@imjolly  has said, it is your distance from the cabinet that is the reason for the slower speed. Speed drops off very quickly with distance.

It is not a question of Openreach won't move you, it is that they can't due to the way the underground network is constructed.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 30

Go to solution

mobile broadband seems my best option then. Thank you for your help. At least I know. If I can't get cabinet 11 then I guess I get nothing.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 30

Go to solution

The checker is suggesting around 10Mb rather than 3, is that the speed guarantee? Whilst not ideal, 10Mb might be usable depending on your needs. It's enough for a 1080 HD stream, but not if there's lots of you all streaming/downloading at the same time. If you think you could get away with 10Mb it might be worth ordering & seeing what you actually get. If it's unusable then you can cancel within the cooling off period.

Message 25 of 30

Go to solution

guaranteed 3mb no thanks. I have a cooling off with the mobile broadband and it streamed well on my phone so going with a mobile hub instead.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 30

Go to solution

even if cabinet becomes full you will not get moved to another cabinet - there are numerous posts like yours on the forum

your expected range is 11/5.2mb with handback at 3.8 so you may be lucky and get near top of range but equally you could be right at bottom of range and nobody can be sure until you are connected  More likely about mid range about 7mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 27 of 30

Go to solution

I guess the understandable concern is even if it connects around 10Mb initially, should it drop to around 3Mb at any point he has no comeback & is stuck in a two year contract.

Message 28 of 30

Go to solution

thank you for all your comments. It gave me the information I needed to make an informed decision on what to do next.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 30

Go to solution

Its all a bit weird as cabinet 11 and cabinet 5 are nowhere near each other. Which postcode are you in?

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 30

Go to solution

Cabinet 11 is on the corner of Kirkslap and Broad street. I can't find cabinet 5 on street view, but it is supposedly somewhere in the area between the A872 and the M80.

I can't imagine that you and your neighbour are connected to cabinets that far apart.

0 Ratings