cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adam_H
Message 1 of 4

New Build Home. < 2MBPS Broadband (Usually Less). Help!

I am posting today to ask for help from anyone with advice to give. The provision of internet at our new property is almost unusable at the time of writing. We are not in a rural area, and I can see properties with 200mpbs+ Virgin Media FTTP, and 70mbps FTTC from our house. I sometimes consider making new friends and purchasing a rather long ethernet cable.

Our developer have not made provision for fibre on this new development, so all new houses are connected, via copper line, to a regular cabinet. At the time we moved in (Q1 this year), this was predicted to get an average of 10mbps by prospective ISPs (and is still being sold as such). We actually found we received 12Mbps as we moved in. Not so bad, right?

Unfortunately, this is falling. As new homes move in, demand on the cabinet increases; internet use is high in modern households. I have watched our speed slowly fall as the houses fill around us. Since Monday 1st October, our property is receiving below the government 'basic broadband' provision of a minimum 2mbps for all homes (and we have had frequent issues in the past).

BT informed me yesterday that this issue is due to OpenReach imposing a limit on achievable speeds on this cabinet.  There is nothing in the home that I can do to increase this. I will ignore that OpenReach are a division of BT PLC for the rest of this post, and treat them as seperate entities.

The limit allows a maximum of 2mbps downstream at the property, however in practice it is always less. BT would not comment if this restriction applies to all properties in the development for data protection reasons, but stipulated it is unlikely I am alone. This limit is cited to provide a stable connection due to the issues caused by load at the cabinet. This is already bad, but coupled with the inability to consistently deliver even 2mbps has left me feeling like I'm back in the dial-up era.

Today, a BT engineer arrived and left without being able to make any changes. He has palmed the issue off as not BT's problem. After repeat calls today (and waiting for the BT internal system to come back online.....) I have been informed that an OpenReach engineer is scheduled to arrive and perform diagnostics, so they can report back to BT to have my contract adjusted/discounted if speeds are definitively less. I don't want this; I need the speeds we originally paid for and are still advertised as available at this address. My employer allows me to work remotely several days a week, which is something I am currently unable to do. Streaming is completely off the menu, as are any online games.

OpenReach have no plans to bring fibre, and my repeated enquiries have returned to where they started: it is the developer's responsibility to organise suitable provision of internet for the new development. The developer flip this and say it is down to OpenReach. I am consistently contacting both, however being ignored to this point. The single, non-fibre cabinet on our estate is not adequate for the growing population at this location. As the final houses move in, this will only get worse.

BT have no interest in helping to solve this issue; I have both been hung up on, and told I am lying this week. Fortunately, the engineer has corroborated my statement after measuring the line speed.

I am posting here for some help, as I really don't know what to do. We are a modern household, with (usually) high internet usage. This Internet speed in 2018 is deeply upsetting.

Thank you for reading.

Internet_Test.pngInternet_Test_Bad.png

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: New Build Home. < 2MBPS Broadband (Usually Less). Help!

Can you post stats from your hub please

are you using the test socket with filter even if you have a filtered master socket to see if that helps

Check for line noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number   https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Tom3dwards
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Do you have an update on this? I am in exactly the same situation and not sure what I can do about it. I was one of the first to move in on my development, sold estimated 17Mb/s broadband speed by BT and getting 14Mb/s, now its down to around 3-4Mb/s.

Cheers

Tom

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@Tom3dwards

Start your own subject and post the information  I requested from @Adam_H

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings