cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linxlad
Message 1 of 4

New Development 30+ Properties and 1MB Speed - My Frustration

Go to solution

Hey and thank you to anyone reading this.

Intro

Firsty the year is 2017, not 1997, not 2007. We live in an age where our European partner countries can offer their residents 100mb+ to their homes.

Problem domain

So my family and I am moving into a new development at the end of this month. The property is actually in an adjescent village which PCP cabinets share the same; and have very similar distance to the exchange.

Now the village I am in I currently have a comfortable fiber connection of 50mb p/s and yet this new site with potential new customers moving in can support speeds of 1-1.5MB p/s which is an absolute joke.

Now I know everyones needs of the internet are different but I think everyone has a right to fast connection for the digital age, built in the age of information. Whether you enjoy gaming, development, streaming or just checking social media and emails.

Attempted Solutions

So instead of winging about the speeds I thought I would try champion and be pro-active. I contacted the site manager (Craig) to get information on the telecoms infrastructure at the new build and here is his reply from Openreach:

Craig,
All I can tell you is that the PCP this customer is fed of is opposite the site on the A1101, opposite the turning for Harvester Lane. The Cables feeding the site are Copper with a 0.5 Conductor.
If he needs any more info he will need to contact his service provider.

Openreache's answer to everyone in the general public who just want a better service is "contact your ISP", you're ISP's answer is Openreach have their own diary they keep to and we can't influence their decision until there is enough interest in your area.

UPDATE:

It appears to be the developers at fault.

Guess I'll have to put up with the unecceptible speed of 1MB p/s now until Openreach have decided you're area is worthy of joining 2017.

DSL checker

Property I am currently in:

https://cl.ly/lf4l

Property I am moving to:

https://cl.ly/lfGW

NB: Same exchange, seems like it's a cabinet issue? I know the distance from the exchange is similar between the two properties.

Over and out.

Nathan

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: New Development 30+ Properties and 1MB Speed - My Frustration

Go to solution

The developer is to blame.

They have only asked Openreach for copper. Had they requested fibre (either FTTP or FTTC) then Openreach would have provided it. Some of the cost may have had to be borne by the developer which is why most decide to go for copper.

For new estates planned from last year, Openreach now offer FTTP for free to any sites larger than 30 homes.

As the cabinet is FTTC enabled already (can tell by the fact that FTTP on Demand is available) , then you'll likely find that when your line is activated the relevant checkers update (usually takes a week or 2) then you might be able to order FTTC.

The line from the cabinet goes to a distribution point, usually quite close to the house, and on new builds, underground. The speed estimations are calculated by Openreach using the data of the distance your DP is from the cabinet. As your DP is so new, and won't have been connected up yet, the test systems can't run a test on your line to estimate the length of the DP from the cab. With no data, a speed estimate can't be given.

When there is no DP information, the default output is to say fibre to the cab is not available.

Do you know roughly, what distance your new home is from the cabinet?

Failing that, you can go down the community funded partnership route whereby you and your neighbours fund half the cost of the upgrade to provide fibre infrastructure you desire. Of course the developer can help with this funding is they want.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
linxlad
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

What's the maximum/average a copper line like that could hold from the cabinet if the cabinet has fiber going to it from the exchange?

As for distance to the cabinet, the cabinet is across the road and down the street a bit from the site.

https://cl.ly/lfGy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Of course the cable won't be direct like the red line 😄

Even up to 1km line length you'll still see around 25-30meg.

Reduce the distance to 500m and you're in the 50-60meg region.

Looking at that I'd estimate under 500m, but it depends on how the cable is routed.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings