cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hazlot
Message 1 of 7

New build property - having a second line coming in

Hi

I have question about getting a second line installed on a new build property currently being built.  Our situation is as follows: 

We have two telephone lines coming into our current property both on separate numbers.  One has BT infinity and another is a business broadband telephone line.   As we are moving to a different exchange area we cannot move the telephone numbers and need new ones.

We are moving to a new build property which should be ready in November and BT infinity is available for the house.

They have said that it will be copper wire from the cabinet to the new build.

We are being provided with one master telephone socket in the living room.   We also have the option of having additional telephone points upstairs.

80_hi_res.jpg

My question is this:

The second line we need which is a business line will need to be upstairs (one bedroom will be an office).

Will the additional telephone points we can order with our builder be just for the main telephone line? I.e., just an extension from the master socket downstairs?

What I am trying to avoid is having a new house then an engineer having to cable in up the stairs the second socket, ideally I want to try and pre-empt this by having additional telephone points installed.  

Would the additional telephone points just be from the master socket, i.e. just the one telephone line?

Any other advice suggestions welcome.

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New build property - having a second line coming in

You'd need to discuss that with the builder however, I suspect the won't allow it.

If you want a second line, you'll probably just need to order if after.

The other option is to ask them to install the master socket upstairs and then when you order a second line, have that installed downstairs by the Openreach engineer.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
hazlot
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply.

So just to clarify if we have one master socket then adding additional telephone points upstairs are merely extensions of the master socket?

As you can see I don't know about comms infrastructure but I was wondering if the master socket can additional lines in it that can be used for second numbers?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Yes that's usually how it works. They're known as extension sockets, and they are just that, extensions of the main connection that comes into the building.

Each line needs its own master socket.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
hazlot
Message 5 of 7

So I guess an extension socket could actually be configured by an engineer to have another line on it?  (assuming that the second line has been configured into the master socket)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Each line has it's own master socket.

You can't have two lines coming into one master socket and then decide which line you want the extensions to utilise.
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Why not just get your builder to install two cables fom the Openreach point of entry. One to the NTE in the living room and another to the room you're having your business line installed?
0 Ratings