cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lewispeano
Message 1 of 6

New build property

Go to solution

So I have just moved into a new build property. BT openreach has just connected my house to the green box - copper broadband - on the estate. Also, the postcode isnt recognised on most sites. 

I want to test the speed before I commit to buying broadband from a provider. I have a CAT5e cable, can I plug that into the master socket and a laptop and connect to the internet and test on Ookla or something like that?

Really appreciate the help, not so good with things like this 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: New build property

Go to solution
no you cannot run an internet speed test unless the line is activated

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
0 Ratings
lewispeano
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I dont have a landline number either yet. I put my address in to the same site and it came up with this. Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 19.28.37.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@lewispeano wrote:

So I have just moved into a new build property. BT openreach has just connected my house to the green box - copper broadband - on the estate. Also, the postcode isnt recognised on most sites. 

I want to test the speed before I commit to buying broadband from a provider. I have a CAT5e cable, can I plug that into the master socket and a laptop and connect to the internet and test on Ookla or something like that?

Really appreciate the help, not so good with things like this 

Unless you have ordered broadband/phone from a supplier you are not connected to anything.

If you were to order Infinity1 you could expect speeds of 45-50Mbps

0 Ratings
lewispeano
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Is infinity1 fibre?  The Openreach person said we don't have fibre where we live unfortunately

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Yes and yes you do, that is what the checker shows.

You have FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) aka VDSL available to you.

0 Ratings