Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidc3
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

New customer, broadband not working

Hello

Activation date was yesterday (fri 23rd sep) for phone & broadband, openreach fitted new line (as we were on cable) phone works fine, broadband not working,

Home hub 4, orange power light & flashing red BB light

Helpline person says its a faulty hub & now have to wait for another one to be sent.

My virgin internet ends tomorrow (I stupidly believed BT about the <30 min set-up) & my wife works from home & needs internet.

Is there anything I can try,  I'm not convinced its the hub at fault, would another router (eg. netgear) get me going temporarily?

Any help welcome

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: New customer, broadband not working

Welcome to this user forum.

Which one of these matches your BT Master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg or  newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
davidc3
Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Hi
Its the second one

thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Thanks.

If there are no other sockets, then that must be the master socket.

The microfilter plugs into that, and the home hub and phone should plug into it.

Do you have any other equipment that uses the phone line?

Did you receive notification from BT that your broadband has been activated, as its not unusual for there to be a couple of days delay, as the broadband task cannot be issued until the phone line task has been closed?

I would not automatically assume its a home hub fault, but the helpdesk would have no idea, as all they would see is loss of synch on the BT Retail servers.

0 Ratings
davidc3
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

There is one other socket upstairs, the engineer said its working fine, but theres nothing plugged into it.

No other equipment using phone line other than phone & hub

BT did say wait 24 hrs after activation, which I have done.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

I cannot see anything obvious. You could try a different ADSL router, if you have one, to see if there is a DSL signal.

Does the other socket upstairs look the same?

0 Ratings
davidc3
Contributor
Message 7 of 23

The socket upstairs looks the same, but it will be over 10 years old. will try it though

I dont have another router, but it may be worth buying one, if it would work, as I can see this being a long job. 

I fully expect the hew hub (when it comes) to behave exactly the same as this one, then the usual fobbing off from BT Asia, in the meantime we have no internet.

I took a gamble on BT as I heard their service had improved, regretting it already!

Is there anything else I can try> before I go cap in hand to Virgin & ask them if they can extend my service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

I asked just in case you have a filtered socket fitted upstairs, and that was in fact the master.

You could buy another router, a spare is always useful, and its likely to perform better than the HH4 anyway.

Apart from an issue with the broadband eqipment in the exchange, or a provision failure where the task was not completed which is unlikely, as a commisssioning test has to be completed and uploaded to the server.

I assume that you have been given the right phone number?  Dial 1470 17070 and see if the number that is read out, matches that given on your order.

Its not unknown for lines to be crossed, if local records are incorrect.

0 Ratings
davidc3
Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Thanks

Dialed that number, and the numbers match

Trying to source a router now
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

Make sure its an ADSL router for BT lines, not a cable router. There are plenty around, TP-Link or Netgear should be available if you have a local PCW.

Maybe NETGEAR D6000 Wireless Modem Router

Or TP-LINK Archer D2 Wireless Modem Router

If that fails, then a visit is going to be needed to investigate the broadband loss.

0 Ratings