cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

New house - socket has cat5 plug

Hi all, in a new house and ordered bt broadband. The main socket has a phone plug and a cat5 plug. Text on the socket says ADSL. Plugged the filter I to the pH ok be socket but no luck purple pulsing light. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: New house - socket has cat5 plug

If your socket looks like one of these:

new_setup_3

Then you don't need another standalone filter.

Just plug the router cable you normally plug into the separate filter into the smaller of the two holes, and your phone cable into the bigger hole.

new_setup_2b

You can leave the filter that came with the router in the box it came in.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the answer, but the socket doesn't look like any of them, it has a phone socket and a cat 5 socket, not a smaller socket.

http://imgur.com/a/VxnbGHw

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@Jonsend wrote:

Thanks for the answer, but the socket doesn't look like any of them, it has a phone socket and a cat 5 socket, not a smaller socket.

http://imgur.com/a/VxnbGHw

@Jonsend The left hand socket will take an RJ11 plug as well. That is the only place you can connect the BT Home Hub. The right hand phone socket is filtered, and does not have broadband on it.

You should get dial tone on the phone socket, once your service has been activated.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

So, you can't use the double ended rj11 cable and plug into the left socket? You won't need a filter. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Thanks both, I will try this and feed back.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Plug does fit, but no joy on the connection.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

@Jonsend wrote:

Plug does fit, but no joy on the connection.

You will have to wait until service is activated, and if you cannot make any progress, then request a visit to sort it out. The initial visit would be free.

That left hand socket is definitely an RJ11 socket, as its identical to what I have here. The RJ11 lead from the BT Home hub has an RJ11 plug on it, and it simply plugs into that socket.

Which BT Home Hub do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Thanks, waiting on an engineer now. Service was activated at least a week ago.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

@Jonsend wrote:
Thanks, waiting on an engineer now. Service was activated at least a week ago.

It must be something simply you have overlooked, as the RJ11 lead from the home hub, should easily plug into the left hand socket, unless of course it is damaged. You would be able to see that if you lift the flap up.

0 Ratings