Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

New user requesting a DLM Reset please.

Hi everyone.

I have recently had bt broadband installed, however my installation is non standard in that I an powering my bt hub from solar power as I am off grid, apart from a phone love that is!

Little did I know before installation that a hub needs to be left on 24/7 to achieve a stable line speed.

The problem I'm having is that I cannot keep the Hub switched on continuously I have to run it through a generator or via a solar panel.

From reading other posts on this forum I have discovered that if you continuously disconnect the hub from the electricity that it will cause a DLM problem as the Telephone Exchange will think there's noise on the line however, there is no noise on the line. I know that it is just because I have been turning off the hub when I have not been using it. Which has fooled the DLM system into thinking there is a problem when there isn't.

To cut a long story short how can I reset the DLM system without having to leave the hub switched on for a week or more for the system to gradually increase the speed?

If I had known this before getting the broadband installed I would never have bothered.

My speeds are ridiculous I think even dial up would have been faster than this.

The speed connected to the network reported by the hub is as follows.

287.1 kbs
446.4 kbs

please can somebody help me? many thanks.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: New user requesting a DLM Reset please.

You cannot adjust the DLM it is automatic it has to have a stable 24/7 connection the same applies with all providers
0 Ratings
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Thanks john46 for the speedy reply.

Do you know after how long the DLM will reset? I only use the broadband briefly now and again then turn the hub off to save power.

If say I left it on for a week, will things improve?

Thanks.
0 Ratings
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Also, how slow will it go? Will it stop working completely?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

@offgridlee wrote:
Also, how slow will it go? Will it stop working completely?

You are probably already on the slowest speed.

Which BT Home hub do you have?

You could be re-graded onto a fixed speed rate option which would solve the problem.

0 Ratings
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I have a BT Home Hub 4.

When the broadband was first installed I got around 12 mbs download and around 1.36 mbs upload and I was a happy bunny, but now I am not happy, although it is my fault I guess I should have read the instructions properly telling me to leave the Hub switched on 24/7!

How do I go about getting a fixed speed rate, I didn't know that was an option?

Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Fixed rate can normally be arranged, but see if its an option for your line.

In order to find out what services are available, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

There will be a line specifying fixed rate options, usually only up to 2Mb though.

Is it not possible to power the home hub directly from your batteries, there are quite a few efficient DC-DC switching inverters available?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Sorry, I couldn't attach a screenshot but, I did what you said and it says fixed rate of 2 available.
I actually used that availability checker before I got installed, but never noticed the fixed rate option!

I'll give customer service a call and see if I can get a fixed rate applied, at least 2 mbps is better than 0.25 mbps.

Powering the hub from a solar panel and battery is surprisingly difficult even at just 1.2 amps it consumes a lot of power!

You have been a big help. Many thanks, I will try and get a fixed rate option now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

I am going to ask one of the moderators to help you with this, as there may be other options available in your case. It will be easier than trying to explain it to the helpddesk Smiley Wink

What voltage is your solar battery, because the current consumption will depend on that. Not sure what the HH4 DC input voltage is, but if its 12v at 1.2A, then at a higher voltage, with an efficient DC-DC converter, the current will be less. The wattage will be the same, plus a bit for converter loss.

0 Ratings
offgridlee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

😉 I know exactly what you mean! Thanks.
0 Ratings