cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

No broadband despite multiple engineers

Myself and some of my neighbours have been without broadband for around 2.5 weeks. I've had an engineer out twice who has tested everything in my flat and says nothing seems to be wrong and my neighbour has had his line replaced but it still doesn't work!

The engineers have suggested it is an issue between the box and the exchange however bt keep sending engineers to my flat and there seems to be no communication between visits. I'm a teacher and can't take days off but it seems like I shouldn't need to be in every time if there is an outside fault?

I don't know who to turn to as bt are just doing the same thing over and over again which isn't working and don't seem to be passing on what has happened in past visits.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: No broadband despite multiple engineers

Are BT Consumer your service provider ?
It’s unlikely that any engineer visit you had was a ‘BT’ engineer, given that it’s Openreach that maintain the network.
What sort of BT broadband do you have , ADSL or ‘fibre’ (VDSL/FTTC) ?....is your phone line working just no broadband  ?.

It seems strange to me  that an engineer visited and said nothing wrong, was the broadband working then ?, if it wasn’t why didn’t you challenge the ‘nothing wrong’ if your broadband  obviously wasn't working, what was your response when they engineer said that ?,

If the engineer stated there wasn’t anything wrong with the ‘line’ but accepted that the broadband wasn’t working, was the fault reallocated to a more senior ‘broadband’ engineer ? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

I don't have fibre. The engineer said everything seemed fine but did acknowledge the broadband didn't work. When he came back the next day, he seemed to do work at the exchange and closed the case.

I then rang up to say the broadband still wasn't working. An engineer was due to come on Saturday but never turned up. I then spoke to another engineer today (I was at work) saying this information hadn't be passed on and I needed to tell bt to raise a different type of claim. I have another engineer booked for Friday but, I have told them I won't be in. There seems to be no communication between bt and BT openreach. BT openreach should know there is also a problem with my neighbours lines but don't seem to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

I don't have a phone so don't know whether the phone line works. But my broadband continues not to work. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@amyhenfrey wrote:

I don't have a phone so don't know whether the phone line works. But my broadband continues not to work. 

If your phone does not work, then your broadband will not work.

You need to check with a phone, to see if yo get dial tone, there is no other way.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

I have no phone so have no way of doing this. Surely this is something that should have been checked by the engineers when they came into my flat.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

It’s just Openreach not BT Openreach, and if you had service from someone else ( like TT or Sky ) you would still have OR looking at this.
You can buy a cheap corded phone for around £5 , well worth having for situations like this, but in the meantime can you borrow one from a friend, neighbour or whatever, and check if you have dialtone.
If you have regular exchange based broadband , then if dialtone is present ( with the correct number, dial 17070 and check the number ) then presumably either you are not connected to broadband or the broadband port is faulty.....there is something odd though, did you report this to BT as a landline fault or to BT as a broadband fault, because even if it’s the same overall company , it’s different organisations and if then’wrong’ sort of fault was raised , OR may send out a phone engineer not a broadband engineer, possibly explaining the delay

0 Ratings