Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaspero
Contributor
Message 1 of 117

Noise Margin + Capped a 2MBsec

Go to solution

Hi, guys First Post!....Hope your having a good morning!

Ive been dealing with this problem for a over a month now after I reported a fault and it went to level 2 and got fixed.It was for a day or 2.I've taken all the advise on the phone and via chat through BT to no real success

.I was getting speeds of minimum 2.5MB/sec b4. My Noise Margin now is always 12.10/13.0db for Downstream since I reported my speed reduction. It does not go down even after 3/5 left connected. The I.P. profile now says im stuck at 2MB/sec line. why? Everything else is fine, connected direct to main socket with plate off and its a stable connection but just a reduction in speed sync regardless what time of day.

Are u able to reduce my noise margin by any amount to see if that improves this issue???

Or Change my IP profile so im not "Capped" 😞 Thanks for your help, I know your a busy bunch. 

0 Ratings
116 REPLIES 116
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 117

Re: Noise Margin + Capped a 2MBsec

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Jaspero
Contributor
Message 3 of 117

Go to solution

Yes, Im connected to the test socket and here are my stats

08:40:16, 28 Apr.(46706.100000) ETHoA is up - VPI: 0, VCI:35
08:40:16, 28 Apr.(46706.100000) DSL is up
08:40:15, 28 Apr.

(46704.580000) DSL noise margin: 19.00 dB upstream, 12.10 dB downstream

08:40:14, 28 Apr.

(46704.510000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 1984 Kbps downstream

Test stats- DOWNLOAD SPEED: 1.74

UPLOAD SPEED 0.34

PING 65.88

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.74 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.75 Mbps

***This used to be 1-3MB/sec less than a month ago***

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 117

Go to solution

you router just reset this morning was that a manual reset or router dropping connection?  your profile for your current connection speed should be 1.5mb so it may reset later today.

the problem is your high noise margin of 12db as normal is about 6db.  have you been resetting router tryin to improve connection or has router been dropping connection or combination of both?

you now need to maintain a stable connection 24/7 for 3+ days and then repost the 2 lines of stats to show line stable and mods will help by restting noise margin which will increase connection speed and therefore your profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Jaspero
Contributor
Message 5 of 117

Go to solution

That was a manual reset this morning, sorry.

I had it connected for over 3 days before, I was taking BT's advice on that one and my noise margin did not come down any still at 12.10db with the speed issues. Thank you for your help.....annoying as this is for me. We cant watch streaming TV, at 1.5MBps we could 😞 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jaspero
Contributor
Message 6 of 117

Go to solution
You know how you said "your profile for your current connection speed should be 1.5mb so it may reset later today" what exactly does that mean and is there anything i can do to fix it?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 117

Go to solution

your profile is based on your connection speed and for yur current speed the profile is 1.5mb see here 

check profile

the profile changes automatically when your connection speed changes but with adslmax which you are on it can take 3/5 days stable connection 24/7 for profile to change to correct value for you connection speed

Jaspero
Contributor
Message 8 of 117

Go to solution
I will just leave it on for 3 days like u said...what should I expect it to realistically change to?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 117

Go to solution

if you can get noise margin down to 6db then 3.5mb or thereabouts

what do you get if you enter your phone number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html  when you post results remember to delete phone number first

Jaspero
Contributor
Message 10 of 117

Go to solution

I would be over the moon with that speed!!! Thank you for being so helpful and QUICK! 

0 Ratings