Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Noise Margin increase and IP profile lowered

Go to solution

All,

Firstly i don't have a BT Home Hub. I use a Netgear modem router. So I can't show HH stats. I've run the quiet test on my line and not heard any noise. However, over the last few weeks I've noticed a degradation in our internet speed. So, I checked my modem's stats and find that the download noise margin is up to 17-18db. I ran the BT wholesale speed test and it reported a download speed of 1.6 mb and the advanced test showed my IP profile at 2.5mb.

My line had been stable at about 9db noise margin and about 5mb download speed for many months now.

I am 99% certain that there is some external fault, which has happened in the past in my line. Is there any direct option to have my line and/or exchange connection tested? There had been much activity in our area by BT Openreach engineers so this fault my be resolved soon its own. But I'd like to contact some engineer directly if possible? Any suggestions or tips?

Also, a friend of mine is on a nearby exchange and he told me that all exchanges in our area were upgraded recently and that I should be seeing upload speeds of roughly 1mb. But my router still reports the standard 448 kb speed. The DSL checker for my phone number shows ADSL2+ and ADSL max available to me.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Noise Margin increase and IP profile lowered

Go to solution

post the stats from your netgear  run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

BTW Performance Test.jpg

BT Broadband.jpg

NETGEAR Router D6200.jpg

NETGEAR Router D6200 Connection.jpg

Infornmation provided above as requested I see that I am on an exchange that should offer me adsl 2+ which should increase my upload speed. But I see I am still on the old upload speed. How can I get access to the services available to me on my exchange?

Is  it normal to have the download and upload noise margin almost the same? Any time I call the quiet  line test I hear silence on my line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

I think you would get some benefit from being upgraded to adsl2 especially up speed would increase by about 100%   if mods can get you upgraded then that will reset your conenction which will take your down noise margin back to normal 6db and give you a better speed

from stats you seem to have a stable connection with 10+ days conenction time

mods will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @ksaro1 and thanks for posting.

@imjolly could be right here. I think it's worth checking if we can get you moved to ADSL2+ so drop me over an email with your details and we'll take it from there. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @ksaro1

Thanks for taking my call today, as advised I have placed an order to change you over to an adsl2 circuit.

The completion date for the order is showing as the 10th of January. I will call you again on the 11th to see if any improvement from this order.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@StuartH

My Internet connection dropped and resumed the morning of 10 Jan, so I assume BT made some changes as per the order.

My download speed is back to what it has been for months now and the noise margin is vack to expected levels. However, the upload speed hasnt changed. Does this take a while to change?

See my BT Speed test and router stats that were done post 10 Jan 

BTW Performance Test New.jpg

NETGEAR Router D6200 New.jpg

Is there any way to see if my exchange connection is indeed set to ADSL2+ other than the performance stats?

What we find in practice is that because the upload bandwidth is so low that any synching of our phones or tablets can essentially knock out our our internet until the synch completes, which cana take hours. So an improved upload bandwidth would improve our service considerably.

If ny wife and I have been out and have taken pictures with our phones and we then come home we then find that our internet connection can be unuseable for an hour or more, until our phones finish synching their photos. This is where the ADSL2+ connection would be very useful for us.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

anywhere in stats that shows modulation

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @ksaro1

Thanks for posting, I have one more change to make today on this which should get the upload increased for you.

I will call shortly to advise.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@StuartH,

Sorry I missed your call. I think the changes have gone through OK. Initially my upload was being reported as 832 kB on my router, which must have been shortly after the change was appied. It is now settling down to a consistent speed. See my router stats as of this afternoon.

NETGEAR Router D6200 ADSL2+.jpg

Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings