Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Noise margin will not reduce to improve speed

Hi all,

its been a while since I needed the forums help as everything has been running fine.. However,... A few neighbours andI had an issue with the phone line and broadband due to cabling contractors who are currently networking/installating virgin media cutting through the phone lines  Meaning that I had no telephone/broadband for 2 weeks. OPen reach dug up the street etc and repaired the comms etc and everything has been restored. However although having a consistent connection to BB for over a week my noise margin is still higher than the previous level 3 and a broadband speed around 5mbs that I had prior to the phone line being cut. It's currently reporting a noise margin and speed of:

5. ADSL uptime: 8 days, 10:08:58
6. Bandwidth :984 / 3447

G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
03:06:06, 02 Jun. (478923.950000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 9.10 dB downstream
03:06:05, 02 Jun. (478923.040000) DSL line rate: 984 Kbps upstream, 3447 Kbps downstream

please can anyone assist in resetting the nois  margin back to 3

thanks

tom

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Noise margin will not reduce to improve speed

the standard noise margin is 6dB the mods can only reset to that the 3dB setting is by the DLM and will only go to that level if the DLM considers the line stable enough you are best just leaving the connection alone and let the DLM do its job it can take up to a month depending on the level of line errors
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Ok but it was 3 prior to the line being cut and is currently reporting at 9

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

the 3db margin is not a standard noise margin that is set by the DLM automatically if it sees the line as stable and with very low line errors that margin cannot be manually set
the normal default is 6 dB and if you maintain a stable connection it will drop to 6B automatically just let the connection stabilise
0 Ratings