CRC Events (Down/Up):9 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):51 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

My question is the noise margin and line attenuation right for my line. I live in the middle of no where pretty much and The line length is about 3.5 KM to the exchange. 

Hope someone can help. All I want to really check is that I am getting the maximum possible speed my line can handle. 

Thank you and Happy New Year 🙂

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Noise on the Line

It could be a tad faster if it was 6db margin, but 9db is acceptible and loop loss is typical. Happy New Year.
0 Ratings
dombullion
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Can I ask what exactly loop loss is please.

Also can the margin be reset or changed so the speed goes faster.

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 6

It's your line attenuation .... its distance erosion from the exchange ... it's length.

I could give you the "purist" view, that at 36.5 db loop loss, you should have around IP 6.5M at target margin with excellent bitloading and running fastpath.

What that means is everything is perfect .... and rarely happens with line adaptive DSL.

So yours is on interleave, normal for some line errors, it's at 9db margin, so you lose a little more linespeed.

And if bitloading is average as well .... it all adds up .... BUT

What you can do, and I noticed you had a shortish runtime which meant you reset the router in darkness ....

Is do ONE reset in daylight hours tomorrow between 9 and 12, and your sync speed may improve, and then wait for the IP profile to come up to it .... that takes 72 hours.

Try that first .... see what happens, if you want to get the margin down to 6db, read about noise margins and line noise .... and how to get rid of it. 

See what tomorrow brings ....  😉

0 Ratings
dombullion
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

OK,

I shall do that tommorrow and see what happens. you say I should have an IP profile of 6.5. My IP Profile according to the BT Speedtester is around 3.0 MB.

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

your profile is determined by your connection speed which stats show to be 3744 hence profile is only 3mb.  if you can get noise margin down and connection speed up then your profile will increase

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings