cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 21 of 64

Re: Not sure what service I'm on..

Hi - Looking at the speeds on the BT DSL checker against my number for adslmax vs adsl2+. Should I have lost 45% of my speed by being put on adslmax instead of adsl2+? The line that I had, my attainable speed was always about 8mb+ although due to the noise & errors, I could never achieve that.  Now that the lift & shifts been done, the errors & noise have gone away but the speed is now about 45% less. It's now a pitiful 4184 with a download of 3904.

I can't even compare this line properly with the one I had as it's not adsl2+. How's this going to affect my migration onto fibre?  Will I get a slower speed due to getting a slower speed on copper on this new line?  Sorry to keep asking questions.  I'm just so frustrated that I've been put onto copper instead of fibre, been put onto the wrong service & now  I'm getting a worse speed than my previous ISP...

This is the speeds I was getting over Wi-Fi on the 9th. Why has everything gone much worse?

IMG_2810.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 64

Can you post stats from hub. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 23 of 64

Hi - I'm not using the HH6. I'm using a Zyxel VMG3925-10B. It's an OR approved modem. It allows me to see so much more than the HH6. Which stats do you need to see?

============================================================================
xDSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: G.DMT Annex A
Traffic Type: ATM Mode
Link Uptime: 0 day: 9 hours: 39 minutes
xDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 1.024 Mbps 3.936 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 0.992 Mbps 3.904 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 6.0 dB 6.6 dB
Actual Delay: 4 ms 4 ms
Transmit Power: 12.4 dBm 18.7 dBm
Receive Power: 4.7 dBm 4.7 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 0.0 symbols
Attainable Net Data Rate: 1.168 Mbps 4.144 Mbps

xDSL Counters

Downstream Upstream
Since Link time = 39 min 1 sec
FEC: 2564 0
CRC: 9 0
ES: 9 0
SES: 0 0
UAS: 0 0
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0
LOM: 0 0
Retr: 0
HostInitRetr: 0
FailedRetr: 0
Latest 15 minutes time = 8 min 19 sec
FEC: 4 0
CRC: 0 0
ES: 0 0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
FEC: 0 0
CRC: 1 0
ES: 1 0
Retr: N/A
HostInitRetr: N/A
FailedRetr: N/A
Latest 1 day time = 7 hours 23 min 19 sec
FEC: 1537 0
CRC: 8 0
ES: 8 0
Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
FEC: 3489 0
CRC: 144 0
ES: 242 0
SES: 166 0
UAS: 684 518
LOS: 19 0
LOF: 26 0
Retr: 4
Total time = 1 days 7 hours 23 min 19 sec
FEC: 12485 0
CRC: 585 0
ES: 611 0
SES: 212 0
UAS: 1492 1280
LOS: 22 0
LOF: 53 0
Retr: 7
FailedRetr: 1

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 24 of 64

Hi - How can I get somebody from BT to take an interest in this?   Nobody is telling me how this loss in speed or being on the wrong copper line is going to affect me when I go over to fibre.  Yes I am being a pain but I'm due to be connected to fibre next Thursday, so the clock is ticking..

The lift & shift appears to have put me onto a worse line that I was on before. I've also noticed that my SNR is going up 14dB at night & not shifting. The only thing which brought it down was the test that were done yesterday for the HR fault.   I really don't want to be stuck on a contract with potentially slower fibre due to this lift & shift. Unfortuantely I'll have nothing to compare that to.  All I know is, the lift & shift has lost me about 45% of the speed I could get previously. Did OR put me on the wrong copper (adslmax) on the lift & shift or have been put on the wrong copper since the 6th. Unfortunately, I didn't look at to see what I'd been connected to on the 6th. 

@JohnC2 - Are you able to help please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 64

It would not be possible for BT to determine what the line performance would be when you are on VDSL, as the upper frequency limit is much higher. They have no means to measure the line parameters, as that is done by Openreach.

Your loss of tones 136 to 180 could be due to an interfering source. You would have to equate that to an actual frequency band to investigate further.

This chart was recently posted on the forum, and shows the frequency ranges used by ADSL and VDSL.

Image result for adsl vs vdsl frequency

You will just have to wait and see how the line performs on VDSL, but it should be faster.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 26 of 64

Hi - I know the speeds will be faster but am I  in a compromised position due to this line. The missing tones could also indicate a bridge tap . Why is the SNR going up to 14dB at night. Clearly something isn’t right. Why on earth would you do a lift & shift & put a customer on a worse line than they had before. It’s also annoying that the engineer acknowledged the HR fault on Sat & didn’t fix it.

Could somebody investigate why my SNR is going up at night?  Thanks..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 64

How does your line come in, is it overhead or underground?

If the SNR is going up at night, that indicates an improvement in the line conditions, so perhaps something during the day is affecting those frequencies. It would be worth noting the time that this happens.

It would also be worth disconnecting or restarting the modem during that time, to see if the missing tones return.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 28 of 64

Hi - The line comes into the house via the telegraph pole. My previous ISP uses different equipment to BT & at night the SNR was going up to 19dB. Seems strange with a new line & using a different DSLAM that my line is doing the same. Has a lift & shift actually been done?. I had some tests done yesterday due to the HR fault & there was 3 disconnects but that just resulted in the speed dropping to 3904.   

When the SNR was going up to 19dB with my previous ISP, the attainable rate was in the region of 7.5 - 9.4mb. I even spotted it at 10mb+ once. My SNR is sitting at 14dB but my attainable speed is only 5600. It’s quite low compared to my previous line/ISP.

I’m at work currently so can’t do anything until I’m home.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I did hear that VDSL is more prone to interference.  If I still have an interference problem now I would imagine it can only get worse on fibre. Thanks..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 64

I appreciate your frustration, but until you are actually connected to a VDSL service it is simply impossible to predict how it will perform.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 64

@8062282 wrote:

I’m at work currently so can’t do anything until I’m home.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I did hear that VDSL is more prone to interference.  If I still have an interference problem now I would imagine it can only get worse on fibre. Thanks..

You are never going to be on fibre unless you have an FTTP connection. Fibre only goes to the cabinet, but ISPs still advertise it as fibre. You are going to be on a copper connection using the same local pair.

VDSL has a wider frequency range, so by its nature, there is more potential for interference. That does not mean you are likely to get issues, especially as you are not using a BT Home hub, which do seem to disconnect more often than other devices.

Overhead cables can pickup more interference than underground, and tends to have more faults.

As @licquorice  has said, you need to wait and see.

0 Ratings