cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helencliffordart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Occasional sudden page loading problems

Since about 4 weeks ago, every now and then when I am browsing, suddenly a page will start to load and just hang. It gets as far as displaying the page title in the browser tab, then sits there with the page blank, trying to load. If I stop the page and try another, the same happens. If I wait long enough (10 minutes?) eventually they appear. This happens in both IE and Firefox.

While they are stuck, Outlook can send/receive email just as usual, so it seems to be a browsing thing, not a connection thing. Pressing the Reset button on my HomeHub4 un-clogs everything eventually.

This is now happening every couple of days, and is becoming intensely irritating.

I called BT and the helpful engineer in India decided it was a problem 'between my computer and the hub' and got me to 'disconnect and reconnect the network adapter' and declared there was no more problem. This didn't convince me at the time and sure enough, an hour later it recurred.

Can you help find a solution, rather than a workaround, please?

Helen

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Occasional sudden page loading problems

Did you try a factory reset by pressing the recessed buton on the back of the hub and holding until lights flash 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
helencliffordart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Yes, I pressed the hidden button with an unwrapped paper clip! About two weeks ago. It reset but had no noticable effect on the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Are you connecting to the hub wireless or wired.  If wireless have you tried changing the channel?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
helencliffordart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

I am wired to the hub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

have you tried deleting the browsing history, cache and cookies?

0 Ratings
helencliffordart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Yes. Cleared everything...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

helencliffordart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Like this?

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:0 days, 04:38:38
Downstream:13.8 Mbps
Upstream:1.025 Mbps

The quiet line test is all quiet.

Now, most irritatingly, my desktop pc has decided not to power up at all, and I have had to take it to be repaired ... in the mean time I have borrowed a laptop so I'm in touch with the world. I guess it would be best if I did the speed testing with the PC (and I mustn't change any settings on the laptop, anyway...), so I'm stuck for a few days.

Many thanks for helping so far, I'm very grateful, and please don't think I've gone away, because I haven't - I'll run the speedtest and send you the info as soon as I have my pc back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

run the btspeedtester with wireless conenction and post results  it will give some indication is download speed low

0 Ratings