cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
babelquark
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Old Master Socket with junction boxes and filter

My BT Unlimited Broadband download speed is around 2.1 mbps. My neighbour, on Talk Talk, gets over 4 mbps. 

My neighbour has a new NTE5 socket, which Talk Talk arranged to have fitted. I have the arrangement shown below:

Master-Socket.jpg

I spoke to BT customer services recently to ask about upgrading the master socket, but they told me it was unlikely to make much difference to my broadband speed, and that my neighbour was probably "lying". 

My incoming telephone line passes through the three boxes shown before reaching the master socket. The master socket is old-style with undivided front face. The white box takes an extension cable off before the master socket, so you might say that I have two master sockets. The large box has the initials GPO on the cover, and is a "Filter Unit 15A SEC 86/1".

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience of replacing old boxes like this. Did you find it improved your broadband speed? Did you have to pay, and if so was it expensive?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Old Master Socket with junction boxes and filter

If you have an extension sockets connected before your master socket then that is star wired and will not be helping your internet connection

I am sure one of the other members will post about the other sockets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
babelquark
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for taking time to reply. You have given me a new technical term to describe my internal wiring - "Star wired".

Would I be correct in thinking that I do not therefore have a Master Socket and my three outlets are just "Sockets"? (They are all the same.) If so, where would BTs responsibility for the wiring end and mine begin?

Other replies still welcome, especially from anyone who knows what a GPO Filter Unit 15A SEO 86/1 is.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe may be able to help with the 2 boxes on left

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

The filter unit 15A was part of the obsolete WB1400 early warning system (Handel) which was fitted in centain special places. Its no longer used, and should have been recovered as it will affect broadband services.

See http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page213.htm

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page214.htm

The whole lot wants removing, and the incoming line connected directly to the master socket.

Probably a job for Openreach.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Thanks Keith

looks like it's an engineer visit required and hopefully after removing your broadband will improve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Looking at the picture of the filter I don't think it is connected. There are no wires on the line in terminations.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

If it was my home I would want openreach to come and remove it. There is certainly a conenction running from that mess of wires to the phone socket

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@Devon_Dave wrote:
Looking at the picture of the filter I don't think it is connected. There are no wires on the line in terminations.

There does appear to be a connection to the `Tele` terminals, which would put it across the phone wiring and affect the broadband. It needs to go.

0 Ratings
Ben565
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

Long shot, but do you still have the Filter Unit 15A ? I need one. 

Thanks

0 Ratings