Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
britfix
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Only 7MB down on a 17MB package

Go to solution

I've swapped in the last three weeks from the old 8MB BT ADSL package to the 17MB one, but the speed's not changed a jot!

I can't claim a lot of tech knowledge, but, from reading this forum, it looks like two possibilities

1) my connection might still be on the old ADSL Max (2-8MB) at the exchange end, rather than ADSL2+ (up to 20MB).  How do I find out if my connection's actually ADSL2+ ? Does ADSL Max still actually exist, and if I'm still on it, how do I get it swapped to ADSL2+ ?

2) IP profile - BTW still gives me an IP profile of 7.17Mbps down, 0.45Mbps up,  which is the same as it was before I upgraded from the 8MB to the 17MB package.  That is, the IP profile still seems to relate back to the 8MB.

Wiringwise, I run hard-wired, socket filter - RJ11 cable to router - CAT5 cable from router to the PC network card.  The router is a TP-Link 8817, and is left permanently running for stability.

The router is supposedly capable of up to 24MB down. Its system log shows no errors. Its stats show no CRC errors, frame errors, transmit collisions etc.

Interestingly, the stats page also states a max possible downstream rate of 11MB, and a max upstream one of 1MB.   I'd be really happy if I could get that !

Any help or advice from forum members or mods would be sincerely appreciated.

Tx

RICK

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Only 7MB down on a 17MB package

Go to solution
Can you post the connection stats from your hub please.

Can you also run this checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com for your number and post up a screenshot of the results.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

ADSLMax definitely still exists.  The download speed is capped at no more than 8M, and the upload speed is never more than 448K.

ADSL2 or 2+ removes those limits.  Under perfect conditions, the download speed could be as high as 20M, and the upload up to about 1.2M.

britfix
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Hello Webby,

ROUTER STATS & DEVICE INFO

ETHERNET

ethernet.JPG

ADSL

adsl.JPG

DEVICE INFO

deviceinfo.JPG

Thanks

RICK

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
please edit out your phone number this is a public forum viewable worldwide
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

From the stats, you're on ADSLMax, at pretty much the maximum possible speed.

For some reason Openreach don't think you can get much more than that.  BT can be very reluctant to switch people from ADSLMax to ADSL2/2+ if it appears that you wouldn't get any great increase in download speed.

They can also take the attitude that you should be switching to Infinity if you want faster speeds, and then be deliberately obstructive.

Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I have asked a forum moderator to help you they will post their contact link here thay may be able to get you on to ADSL2+

Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
Mods should be able to get you onto ADSL2+.

Ecto - it's Wholesale that decide, not Openreach. It's possible that this line has just been missed from the migration as opposed to a deliberate choice of leaving it on ASDLmax.

The Wholesale checker shows 12.5meg is possible, and I'd agree given the attenuation.

Not sure about the deliberate obstruction. Who are "they" that you refer to?

To the OP, if faster broadband is what you desire, you may wish to consider Infinity. You'd get the full 55meg connection rate on Infinity 1 and there's some pretty good deals to be had at the moment.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @britfix and welcome.

I'm sure I can help you with the connection speeds. As @Webby has mentioned you could get Infinity if you wanted a faster connection but drop me over your details and we'll take it from there. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
Mods should be able to get you onto ADSL2+.

Ecto - it's Wholesale that decide, not Openreach. It's possible that this line has just been missed from the migration as opposed to a deliberate choice of leaving it on ASDLmax.

The Wholesale checker shows 12.5meg is possible, and I'd agree given the attenuation.

Not sure about the deliberate obstruction. Who are "they" that you refer to?

To the OP, if faster broadband is what you desire, you may wish to consider Infinity. You'd get the full 55meg connection rate on Infinity 1 and there's some pretty good deals to be had at the moment.

I was referring to BT's Indian "helpdesk", a few months after my exchange was upgraded to support ADSL 2/2+.  I was told by a manager there that I would not have my ADSL service upgraded and that if I wanted a faster service, then I had to upgrade to Infinity.

One of the very nice mods here bypassed the call centre, and I got the upgrade to ADSL 2+ within days.

0 Ratings