Hi Folks. This time, I have no clue where to start with the problem I seem to be having just now.
It started last week, when openreach had dug a hole between my exchange and my home to do some work.
My internet connection (ADSL) happily sat at around 6600-7100 Kbps and my SNR down was around 5.9db-6.5db and literally, that is about the most variance I saw, so it was nice and stable.
Since Openreach started work last Friday or thereabouts, could have been Wed), My up speed had dropped to 128K (normally 448k), and my down speed was 1026K normally 6600-7100k. However, after a router restart, the numbers returned to close to normal, although down speed was now 4400Kbps but that's not terrible as a temp thing, I just assumed the dslam had kicked in for whatever reason, due to Openreach working on the line.
Now it's been a week, and my ip profile is 1mb. And as I sit and watch my stats on the router page change from 6db down, then suddenly it will be 15db - 16.2db down and changes every few mins between 6db and over 15db. Having said that, even with those stats, and even the 1mb profile, it still seems far less than the given numbers, so I think something else is afoot!
I am plugged into the master socket, and switched out the filter as a potential fix, but that didn't change anything.
There is noise on the line when I pick up the phone, kind of like a dense slow whooshing wave sound (if that makes sense) which slowly fade away to almost clarity, at which point i hear a rapid, very quiet set of beeps, but only very faintly, this happens a few times, then it seems to go quiet.
I have tried multiple line tests, and all come back with no fault detected, and apparently, all services from my exchange, are green.
I just assumed that the ORch guys were the reason, and it would just return to normal, but the Openreach guys are gone now, and im in a worse state, getting progressively worse still.
I even changed router just in case, and that presented exactly the same kind of results.
I called 151, but again, the automaton message robot told me my line was fine 😞
And jut for the record, I don't think it has ever in my entire time of having ADSL, taken the 10 days for the IP profile to rise to the normal line speed ability, that some people suggest, this is just a way to give BT a bit of space in cae it takes more time than what I have discoevered to be rarely more than a day. I appreciate anyones thoughts,
Thanks for reading.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi can anyone help?
Appreciate the stock response john, but please read mssg again, and save us both days of pointless back and forths.
Fact is, Line was fine. Openreach digs hole and starts to work on line. Internet stops working almost completely, then when they finish working on the line, I am now left with a 1meg profile, and an upload connection speed that is ridiculously changeable now, as well as my SNR margin jumping all over the place on both up and down.
I have problems with this **bleep** line, soooo often, that the thought of having to go through countless and pointless tests yet again, is too much to bear!
I did the quiet line test, and my line has noise, as I CLEARLY STATE! I have told you my stats, and have told you my NORMAL stats.
It's no coincidence that openreach digs a hole to work on MY line, then my internet connection becomes messed up.
Also, do you have any idea how frustrating it is trying to do these **bleep** tests in the first place, with such a slow connection? And then you come along and tell me to do tests which tell u all the information that I have already told you in the first post.
Since BT line tests shows no fault, I then have to take the chance that BT don't decide to charge a callout fee, which I can't just chance!
This post may help to explain what is going on, especially the part by RogerB at the end.
Under "banded" conditions, your downstream noise margin will be high.
Having said that, I guess nothing will happen unless I comply. Find requested info below.
Problem is, it doesn't make any odds since the connection keeps dropping and resetting itself anyway. So even if the 10 days was a definite fix, it still doesnt' explain, why the connection drops to a lower speed, then a higher speed, then waaaay lower again, then back up. There is no way the dlm will be able to fix something, that shows no sign of improved stability.
You're saying that like I didn't already give you that information from the start, which I did. I know you don't have access to that stuff, that is why, in my OP, I gave the figures.
My apologies, however, I did not think the connection time was important as I had already stated in the OP, that the connection was erratic anyway, and had disconnected a number of times over the past few days.
But, since you ask, the current uptime is 8 hours 55 mins. Uplink is 192Kbps - Downlink is 3648Kbps
Funny thing though, I phoned BT today, (151), to report again the noise on my line, but god only knows why, I got a Broadband support operator!
I explained the situation, but apparently, a lot of the BT call centres in the UK, are experiencing tech difficulties, so I am awaiting a call back from someone today, around 2pm they said, so should know soon.