Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

OpReach work has affected DSL connection

Go to solution

Hi Folks. This time, I have no clue where to start with the problem I seem to be having just now.

It started last week, when openreach had dug a hole between my exchange and my home to do some work.

My internet connection (ADSL) happily sat at around 6600-7100 Kbps and my SNR down was around 5.9db-6.5db and literally, that is about the most variance I saw, so it was nice and stable.

Since Openreach started work last Friday or thereabouts, could have been Wed), My up speed had dropped to 128K (normally 448k), and my down speed was 1026K normally 6600-7100k. However, after a router restart, the numbers returned to close to normal, although down speed was now 4400Kbps but that's not terrible as a temp thing, I just assumed the dslam had kicked in for whatever reason, due to Openreach working on the line.

Now it's been a week, and my ip profile is 1mb. And as I sit and watch my stats on the router page change from 6db down, then suddenly it will be 15db - 16.2db down and changes every few mins between 6db and over 15db. Having said that, even with those stats, and even the 1mb profile, it still seems far less than the given numbers, so I think something else is afoot!

I am plugged into the master socket, and switched out the filter as a potential fix, but that didn't change anything.

There is noise on the line when I pick up the phone, kind of like a dense slow whooshing wave sound (if that makes sense) which slowly fade away to almost clarity, at which point i hear a rapid, very quiet set of beeps, but only very faintly, this happens a few times, then it seems to go quiet.

I have tried multiple line tests, and all come back with no fault detected, and apparently, all services from my exchange, are green.

I just assumed that the ORch guys were the reason, and it would just return to normal, but the Openreach guys are gone now, and im in a worse state, getting progressively worse still.

I even changed router just in case, and that presented exactly the same kind of results.

I called 151, but again, the automaton message robot told me my line was fine 😞

And jut for the record, I don't think it has ever in my entire time of having ADSL, taken the 10 days for the IP profile to rise to the normal line speed ability, that some people suggest, this is just a way to give BT a bit of space in cae it takes more time than what I have discoevered to be rarely more than a day. I appreciate anyones thoughts,

Thanks for reading.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: OpReach work has affected DSL connection

Go to solution
Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi can anyone help?

Appreciate the stock response john, but please read mssg again, and save us both days of pointless back and forths.

Fact is, Line was fine. Openreach digs hole and starts to work on line. Internet stops working almost completely, then when they finish working on the line, I am now left with a 1meg profile, and an upload connection speed that is ridiculously changeable now, as well as my SNR margin jumping all over the place on both up and down.

I have problems with this **bleep** line, soooo often, that the thought of having to go through countless and pointless tests yet again, is too much to bear!

I did the quiet line test, and my line has noise, as I CLEARLY STATE! I have told you my stats, and have told you my NORMAL stats.

It's no coincidence that openreach digs a hole to work on MY line, then my internet connection becomes messed up.

Also, do you have any idea how frustrating it is trying to do these **bleep** tests in the first place, with such a slow connection? And then you come along and tell me to do tests which tell u all the information that I have already told you in the first post.

Since BT line tests shows no fault, I then have to take the chance that BT don't decide to charge a callout fee, which I can't just chance!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

This post may help to explain what is going on, especially the part by RogerB at the end.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/How-to-speed-up-return-to-normal-ADSL-speeds...

Under "banded" conditions, your downstream noise margin will be high.

0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Having said that, I guess nothing will happen unless I comply. Find requested info below.

BTW TEST Prt 1.jpgBTW TEST Prt 2.jpgBTW TEST Prt 3.jpgRouter Stats.jpg

0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Problem is, it doesn't make any odds since the connection keeps dropping and resetting itself anyway. So even if the 10 days was a definite fix, it still doesnt' explain, why the connection drops to a lower speed, then a higher speed, then waaaay lower again, then back up. There is no way the dlm will be able to fix something, that shows no sign of improved stability.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
Until the line noise is resolved your connection will not improve you need to persist in calling 151 until you speak to a human

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read
this is why you are asked to repost the results of basic tests as we cannot access any information about your connection
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

You're saying that like I didn't already give you that information from the start, which I did. I know you don't have access to that stuff, that is why, in my OP, I gave the figures.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
Your router stats do not show any connection time also until that line noise you mention is resolved your connection will not stabilise it is a matter of persistence to speak to a human on the fault number also when you do please do not mention broadband in the call as they will just pass you back to the broadband help desk
0 Ratings
Gremlin10
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

My apologies, however, I did not think the connection time was important as I had already stated in the OP, that the connection was erratic anyway, and had disconnected a number of times over the past few days.

But, since you ask, the current uptime is 8 hours 55 mins.   Uplink is 192Kbps  -  Downlink is 3648Kbps

Funny thing though, I phoned BT today, (151), to report again the noise on my line, but god only knows why, I got a Broadband support operator!

I explained the situation, but apparently, a lot of the BT call centres in the UK, are experiencing tech difficulties, so I am awaiting a call back from someone today, around 2pm they said, so should know soon.

0 Ratings