cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Packet Loss; Freezing for 5-10s two to three times a minute.

Go to solution

Hello; I started having packet-loss (complete freezing in games) for 5-10s at a time especially during group events. This began Thursday (30th) evening. 

I ran tracert/pathping to one of the involved servers and there is one culprit that has been evident, where ~100% packet loss occurs.ping.JPG

The IP Address 172.16.11.181 is the culprit it seems like (not my router), but it is also too recent in the chain of hops to be from the game's end. Should I contact BT about this (there seems to be no service issue near my area) or is there a fix I can do from home? I did the router  routine (power cycled, restarted, reset) already.

Thanks! 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Packet Loss; Freezing for 5-10s two to three times a minute.

Go to solution

@Arthaelx9 

I assume you are a BT Business user, as you are using a BT Business hub?

Either way, its most likely to be caused by noise on your phone line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you Keith; how do I go about fixing/getting help for fixing the issue?

Should I report it or will it resolve by itself?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

@Arthaelx9 wrote:

Thank you Keith; how do I go about fixing/getting help for fixing the issue?

Should I report it or will it resolve by itself?

Are you a BT Business user?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I am not entirely sure as the broadband was setup by the housing administrator and was not identified in the instructions provided to me (instructions/details that I am to use in case there was a problem with the broadband - such as account number, username, pass, security questions etc). 

There is also no attached phone line through which I can dial the number. The ADSL filter does have a phone jack, but I currently do not have access to a phone that can use that port.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@Arthaelx9 wrote:

I am not entirely sure as the broadband was setup by the housing administrator and was not identified in the instructions provided to me. 

There is also no attached phone line through which I can dial the number. The ADSL filter does have a phone jack, but I currently do not have access to a phone that can use that port.

Then that connection on the filter is where you need to plug in a wired phone to test for noise.

Some information below which you may find helpful. But as this looks like a BT Business connection, only limited help can be given on this BT Residential forum.

Why do you need phone connected to your line?

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

With Private Circuits it is common practice to allow a small "DC Wetting" current to flow through the line to prevent this problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you; will try that. And I do apologize, wasn't aware that this was a forum for BT Residential only.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@Arthaelx9 wrote:

Thank you; will try that. And I do apologize, wasn't aware that this was a forum for BT Residential only.

The BT Business forum is on this link https://business.forums.bt.com/

The advice I have provided would apply to both types of accounts, but if you cannot resolve the problem, then only the people on the business forum can escalate it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I bought a phone and attached it. That seemed to have settled it down for now; thanks again. Will post on business forum if it occurs again!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@Arthaelx9 wrote:

I bought a phone and attached it. That seemed to have settled it down for now; thanks again. Will post on business forum if it occurs again!

That has probably broken down any high resistance connection, and it will be fine for now.

A very effective fix, is to dial 17070 and select option 1 (ringback test). Put the phone down and then let it ring for about 20 seconds then answer it.

The high voltage AC ringing supply, is very effective in breaking down any high resistance connections, and you should not have any problems for a long time, unless you have a real fault on the line.

0 Ratings