cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Curly_bales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 53

Packet Loss on my line

I have been lagging a lot recently whilst gaming, and it came to a point yesterday that it was unplayable - just warping all over the place. I originally thought it might be the fact my wireless dongle was on the way out, however on futher digging it appears the data qualtiy of the line is very poor. I have just tested my wire connection directly into the test socket of the main hub in the house and these are the results below.

I am no techy, when it comes to this so would be greatful for some help. Thanks in advance

Oh i have contacted the BT help desk to which they say i have a good connection and the bandwidth is good, this is not what i have an issue with. the data quality of the line is paramout to online gaming, webchat and VOIP.

090713 BBC.png

090713 bt.png

pingtest 090713.png 

0 Ratings
52 REPLIES 52
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 53

Re: Packet Loss on my line

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Curly_bales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 53

Thanks for your quick reply - as requested. i havent done the quiet line test yet - ill give that a whirl now. Thanks again

BT Home Hub ADSL Stats.png

BT Test results.png

further diagnostics

BT further diagnostics.png

0 Ratings
Curly_bales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 53

just ran the quiet line test and not a sound on the line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 53

can you go back to stats and 'show detail' and post the rest of the errors please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Curly_bales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 53

Sorry missed the obvious "more detail" button lol

as requested

BT home Hub ADSL stats 2.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 53

you have a good connecton speed for your attenuation and stats look ok - connection time is only 54min is that due to manual reset of router dropping connection?

with only a short time connected the errors are low but that may be a problem but need longer connection time - can you repost tonight sometime to see how errors increased over longer period.

if errors look ok then I would sugegst you repost when your conenction time shows 3+ days stable conenction and then you can ask mods to change your latency to 'fast' which is the preferred setting for gamers.   setting to fast can make some line unstable hence looking to see errors

0 Ratings
Curly_bales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 53

yes i have gone through the normal fault finding things first and have reset the router a few times. Ill leave the connection and hub to settle and will post more results tomorrow.

Thanks for your help so far

0 Ratings
Curly_bales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 53

Please see my 24hr stats (or nearly 24hrs) - still not able to use the line for what i need it for. And using CMD and pingtes still reports significant packet loss on the line.

bt home hub adsl 100713.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 53

your stats show a lot of errors especially crc/hec errors for only 1 day connected.  are you still connected to the test socket via a filter?

check this post for possible problems 
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

0 Ratings