cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cassas00
Message 1 of 5

Phone and Broadband problems REALLY BIG GOAT

Hi, there's no big goat, just wanted some attention Cat LOL

I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriends father. His phone has recently gotten a lot of noise on the line, sometimes you can ring it (although can't hear anything) sometimes it won't even connect. So I lent him my phone but the same thing happened so it's not the phone. 

The router then started going on and off, connecting for 10 minutes then disconnecting, now it's hardly on at all. We changed the microfilter and same thing happens. 

His set up is masterbox in the kitchen, microfiter plugged directly into it. I even tried connecting the phone directly into the masterbox and it's the same so it's obviously not a problem on his end.

Will BT accept this though? They said there's no problem on the line and refered him to the BT website to follow the mind numbing directions (although he has no broadband), the usual reset router, microfiter, switch it off and on etc etc. They've also, what I see as a threat, said if an engineer is sent out and the problem is on our end they will charge £99! 

What can be the problem on our end? If any?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone and Broadband problems REALLY BIG GOAT

have you tried the quiet line test from the test socket which will eliminate and internal extension wiring?  I suppose you could see it as a threat about the callout charge but the must inform you of the potential charge should the cause of the problem be something in your control in the home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cassas00
Message 3 of 5

I'll call him to try that now although they only have a cordless phone it will have to do. They have no extensions, just the masterbox which is when BT's property begins so I don't really want to open it up, if it was my house I would & have tampered with it
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

if the master socket looks like this  test socket.jpg  then taking the bottom front plate off is perfectly ok as that is where any extensions would be connected.  Openreach responsibility stops where cable connects to the backplate

there may be a dull hum if using a cordless phone which is normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cassas00
Message 5 of 5

Oh yea, of course. Thank you, I'll try those as soon as I can 

0 Ratings