cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jongower
Message 1 of 16

Please help - upload speed horribly slow

Please help. I've spent a long time getting nowhere on the Chat Assistant service. When I run tests, the download speed seems good, the upload speed (and ping) very poor. This seems to translate into very unreliable, very slow service. I've only just joined BT and kind of wish I hadn't.

What shall I do?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Please help - upload speed horribly slow

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jongower
Message 3 of 16

Thank you.

Speedtest - Download - 3.53, Upload 0.04, Ping 0.00

Diagnostics - Upload 0.04 - achievable 0.45, Download 3.53, achievable 4Mbps

Quiet line test seemed fine

I couldn't see what in the hub log you needed. Can I attach the log?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Which hub do you have?

are you using the test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
jongower
Message 5 of 16

I have just now plugged in to the test socket.

It's a BT Home Hub 4 - (is that enough information?)

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

If you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then logs or WAN and looking for 2 lines when router connected to internet which will be just now when you connected to test socket. They will show your connection speed and noise margin. When you find the, then post

are you using wired or wireless connection?  Did you use wired for btspeedtester?

0 Ratings
jongower
Message 7 of 16

Thank you - that was clear.

I'm using wired.

21:01:04, 24 Nov.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=4288Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.4dB, Up=15.0dB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test that follows and post results

can you enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

0 Ratings
jongower
Message 9 of 16

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 3.59 Mbps

0 Mbps4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.59 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 3.78 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.02 Mbps

0 Mbps0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.02Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
0 Ratings
jongower
Message 10 of 16

on Exchange CREDITON is served by Cabinet 15

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2 to 6Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

0 Ratings