cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Poor ADSL connection

Hello, I have two ADSL connections which I have been using for some years now.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that one of the connection was being very slow and it is like that to this day.  At first, I thought it was due to busy network due to Coronavirus.  However, it was gradually getting a bit worse so today, I decided to have a look at modem statistics, it turned out that 2nd line has very poor connection, is half the speed of what it should be. Also upload speed is poor.

Have a look below and you can see the difference.  Both ADSL sockets are sitting next to each other and nothing has been changed.

ADSL Connection 2ADSL Connection 2

ADSL Connection 1ADSL Connection 1

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Poor ADSL connection

who is your ISP for both lines

have you checked for noise on the slower line?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Both lines are BT.

Unfortunately, I'm profoundly deaf!

Also both modems are connected to master sockets and no telephones or anything connected at all, just ADSL lines. What else it could be?

By the way, you can see noise margin is 'normal' at 6.0 dB on ADSL 2. If it was noisy, SNR margin would it be high?

But line attenuation seems off, it should be same as ADSL 1.

ADDED: Forgot to mention that I swapped over ADSL modem a couple of weeks ago, thinking the old modem might have gone badly but it's still the same.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Is it possible to get someone just to check k the phone line because it does look like a line problem with speed halved and increased attenuation

No 2 lines are the same but don't expect such difference

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 18

Of course, no two lines are the same but they always have been similar in the past few years but not this half.

Telephone Number on Exchange MONEYMORE is served by Cabinet 2
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 8.5--6.5 to 10AvailableAvailable--
Up to 8--7 to 8AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailable--
2----Available----
Observed Speeds ADSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-04-24
Other Offerings Availability DateADSL Multicast
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
28-04-2020
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

You are currently on adslmax and may benefit if you upgraded to adsl2

your attenuation on 'good' line is 56db but on 'poor' line it is 63.5db and may be higher as that is maximum router will show.  Hence why you need some way or other to get both your lines checked for line noise but I think poor line does have a line problem

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Hmm, line 2 speed is used to sync at around  4 Mbps until recently - similar to line 1.  I see that my minimum guaranteed speed for both lines is 1 Mbps so a test above showed it was below that guaranteed speed.

I do rather to get line 2 get looked at first, however when it get sorted out, does ADSL 2 increases upload speed to 1,024 - if so, that would be a big increase from a pitiful 448 kbps! 😄

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Upgrading to adsl2 would increase up speed to roughly 0.8/1mb. It may give slight increase in down speed but line needs to be checked for noise first as adsl2 is more aggressive on any line noise

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

All right, any small increase would be great. 

Would be great to have both lines upgraded to ADSL 2 once the lines are checked over.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Post back after checking lines for noise

dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone preferably from test socket 

0 Ratings