Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adeseye
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Poor Broadband Download speed 1mps instead of 6.5mps

Go to solution

Hi everyone, I have been with BT for over 2years and am not quite happy with the download speed rate over the years until recently I got into graphic designing which requires downloading of files to work with at home.

Yes surfing the web, watching youtube videos and nextflix works fine even at times movies buffers I dont mind I can over look that but downloading files for work is what am frustrated and more concerned about.

My download rates cant go beyond or above 1mps, looks like its locked or restricted to 1mbps. Its either 1mps or below which I find unfair and surprise about. My package states and estimates my downoad speed will be between 6.5mbps and 8.5mbps but am not anywhere close to 6.5mps.

I have only got 1 laptop and a smartphone connected to the BT Hub 4, I have called custermer service done line test, exchange test etc no faults found nothing has been done about my download speed.

I have done speed test the results was :

Download speed (Mbps): 8.47

Upload speed (Mbps) :0.91

Ping latency (Mbps) : 48.13

Can anyone please assist on how I can increase download speed from 1mbps to 6.5mbps? Experts in the forum kindly assist thank you.Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Poor Broadband Download speed 1mps instead of 6.5mps

Go to solution

Can you please run the BT speedtest further diagnostic test this test appears after the first test completes and post back the results

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

frpom your btspeedtester results you have posted you have a download speed of 8.4Mbps   speed tests use mbps (mega bits pers second), when downloading a file it will display the speed in mb/s (mega bytes pers second) so should be 8 times less as 8 bits to a byte.

I think the problem is you are confusing your bits and bytes  http://www.checkyourmath.com/convert/data_rates/per_second/megabits_megabytes_per_second.php

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Adeseye
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for your quick response

Here is the test results:

Download speed : 8.44

Upload speed: 0.90

Ping latentcy : 41:00

Capture.JPG

Here is the further diagnostic test:

download speed 8.44mbps

upload speed .09mbps

I am just wonderinf why am not getting this download speed when I actually download a file?Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Adeseye
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Okay I have gone through the event log here is mine :

14:37:52, 28 Dec.( 5715.530000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
14:37:51, 28 Dec.( 5714.410000) DSL line rate: 1051 Kbps upstream, 9464 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
Adeseye
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@imjolly absolutely not, am quite sure of what am saying, the speed test says 8.4mbps. Downloading a file the download speed is 1.0mbps or less for that matter in kilobytes. Look at the screenshot I attached for an example. The download speed is in kilobytes (KB)

Capture.JPG

The point is the speed test says 8.4Mbps why am I getting 1mbps or less thats my point.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

As I already posted your connection speed, profile and download speed are consistent. Your download speed from the website is consistent with your btspeedtester results just btspeedtester is showing in bits and the website in bytes.  I posted an explanation and a link to follow

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Your down connection speed is 9464Kbps (bits) .  You are downloading at 960 KB.sec (bytes) which is the same as 

960 x 8 = 7680Kbps. 8 bits to a byte

this is not much lower than your profile of 8347Kbps (9464 x 0.882)

Adeseye
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the explanation, I got Mb(megabit) and MB(megabyte) mixed up.

0 Ratings