cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phobos515
Beginner
Message 21 of 34

Re: Poor Broadband speed

Now that's what I call service. Post here about the problem, and ten minutes later, my adsl speed is shooting back up where it should be. I'm sure it's just coincidence, but if by any chance it was a kindly BT tech who read the post above, thank you sir. I'm just hoping it's not an intermittent between me and the exchange that's been temporarilty mitigated by the lines blowing about and making better contact.

0 Ratings
sahaya
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 34

i checked my speed at ScanMySpeed.com

it showed as 

downloads: 1.09Mbps

uploads: 0.8Mbps

i know its a very low speed. what is happening to my connection? why is so slow?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 34

Hi Welcome to the forums it would help you if you started a new post as this is now a very old one an may not get you the help you need please try what is posted below and reply in a new post

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Beachjunkey
Message 24 of 34

Having had a trouble free service for years and pretty good broadband, being able to run. iPad , iPhones,pods, xboxes, & ps3 we had trouble 5 weeks ago, our broadband kept dropping off and we would lose connection.the usual 45 min circular phone calls to the useless foreign help Twice finally found a line fault, that was cleared ( a branch on the line ) .
My broadband is now still useless, they said my router is the prob now have a new homehub3 useless that is to still no bandwidth.
Numerous calls again 45 mins plus going round in circles telling them the problem is their end as nothing my end has changed but I might as well be speaking double dutch. I am next going to phone billing and tell them that I'm not paying any more until it's sorted, ABSOLUTE SHOCKING SERVICE HOW DARE YOU PUT BRITISH IN YOUR TITLE you are litter at sorting out your product
0 Ratings
Beachjunkey
Message 25 of 34

Welcome to the bt ripoff club
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 34

HI beach junkie

Hi Welcome to the forums

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
djclix
Beginner
Message 27 of 34

Pete

I am having exactly the same problem as you, same 500kbps and all symptoms exactly the same, did you get yours resolved in the end??

Thanks

@Cumbriapete wrote:

Hi

We have been having problems with speed since the beginning of February. Apart for a few days we were getting under 500kbps

BT admitted that there was a line fault and it was bottleneck somewhere.

We had to arrange for a engineer to visit,

That was a task in its self the Call centre was useless 3 calls and been put on hold a number of times and 40 mins later a appointment was arranged.

On the day of planned visit we tested our line and got 330Kbps the engineer called us from the exchange where he had been running tests he asked us to run a test and he would be with us shortly. We ran a test and got just under 7Mb Fantastic,

The engineer said he must have cleared the fault when running the tests at the exchange, he checked all ou wiring and disconnected our extension (as we do not use it) he ran some line tests and everything was fine.

Everything was fine for a few days and the speed just got slower and slower. And we are back to getting under 500Kbps, we have e-mailed a complaint to BT but only had a phone message from the Tech call centre in India.

Do they not have all our info on file including the tests the engineer ran. There is clearly a fault at the exchange that is causing a bottle neck the engineer said the system will get slower and slower till the errors a cleared.

Can anybody sugest what we do next, I refuse to call the help line because they are useless, they do not understand you, they constantly put you on hold.

Please can anybody help as we are pulling out hair out and contemplating cancelling our direct debit,

Regards

Pete

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 34

hi if you post the above information then some one can offer you help
0 Ratings
Nastikov
Beginner
Message 29 of 34

At least most of you seem to have issues which can be sorted 'self help', my slow broadband is possibly due to a waterlogged cable that runs between the green box 150 yards away and the pole outside my house.

Seeing that broadband uses a high frequency signal and it's passed down a pair of wires, adding dirty water makes a nice capacitor which is a short circuit to high frequencies.

Unfortunatly for phone use the cable is working as intended. (maybe I oughta get McNicolas in to re-lay all the fibre optic cable tv lines in the street, digging up the BT one in the process).

Was pinning my hopes on Infinity which is pencilled in for the summer but if this cable is the problem then I'm probably wasting my money if I go for it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 34

Hi nastikov 

If  you post the  following then we may be able to offer you some help 

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings