Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PaulHP14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Poor broadband speed and much less than neighbours

I am experiencing a large variation betwen our broadband speed and that of near neighbours and whilst I expect to see differences, I don't expect to see 100%+ difference. Is this unusual?

We are connected using ADSL2+ and my main gripe is our inability to use services like iPlayer without buffering pauses every few seconds.  I get a consistent download speed at my router of 2.2Mbps. My immediate neighbour (whose circuit shares the same telegraph pole) is able to get more than double my download speed at 4.6M.  Even friends who are more than 300 yards further from the cabinet enjoy speeds approaching 4M.

I have done all the stuff that is recommended to clean up WiFi etc, and typical speed tests at devices report 2M download speed, which at 90% of the router speed seems OK to me.

I would be tempted to upgrade to one of the superfast services but as we are about 1.2 miles from the cabinet I have been told not to expect anything faster than we currently get, so not good value for money.

I had a long "chat" with BT yesterday was was eventually told that our internet speed is very good because we are promised 2.5M download and we are getting 3M download.  I am really puzzled by this because I would expect their view of the speed to be identical to the router's download speed otherwise I done't imagine the circuit would synchronise.

I would appreciate any other suggestions as to possible steps to improve this.  

Thanks,  Paul.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Poor broadband speed and much less than neighbours

Can you post the connection stats from your home hub?

Are you connection to the master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
PaulHP14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Thanks Webby for quick response.  Here are the connection stats:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 22:00:38
Downstream:2,268 Kbps
Upstream:912 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.6 dB / 5.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):52.0 dB / 27.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):172293 / 649
CRC Events (Down/Up):7 / 136
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):16 / 213
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 72
0 Ratings
PaulHP14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

And forgot to add, the connection is at the master socket.  This is of the type that has inbuilt filters.  I have connected the router to the test socket in the past and confirmed no change to the indicated speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

It may be worth while trying a different, this party router.

For what it's worth, I get a 2.7meg sync with a 59.5db attenuation. I'd probably expect something closer to 3.5meg with 52db attenuation.

I use a Billion 7800DXL and it's rock solid, even with an SNR of 2db (the Billion lets you lower the target margin to eek that little bit more speed out of your line and you can play around with it to get the maximum speed whilst maintaining stability).
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Can you pop your number into here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post up the results? Include the exchange and cabinet number too.
PaulHP14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Thanks again.  I have a Draytec Vigor 2710 which I was using until yesterday's chat, and which I get exactly the same speed.  I switched it in the nieve thought that a BT product might help their diagnostics, and for the time being it might help the network training process.

I'm now wondering, after reading a lot more on the forum,  whether the linespeed is capped as other people have discovered.

Several years ago (June '13?), when the filtered faceplate was fitted at the Master socket, the download speed jumped up from 1.5 to 4.5M. However, some time later I noticed it had dropped to 2.2 and has stayed there ever since.  I wondered at the time whether something was done "in the network" to limit the maximum speed for some reason but could never find out definitively or persuade anyone at BT that there is any speed problem on our line.  It wasn't until summer 2015 that the Superfast cabinet went live in our village so if there were any network limitations that had to be managed, hopefully that would no longer be the case.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

The Billion routers use a Broadcom chipset which are highly regarded for their stability, especially on longer lines.

You can pick the 8800NL R2 up for around £60.

If it were my line, I'd get a billion and then request an SNR reset.

Banding usually would have your sync at 2272, however, interleavin my bring that down to 2268, I'm not sure!
PaulHP14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Exchange is Radnage, Cabinet 2.  

I am having problems with HTML in the copy & paste from the dslchecker, so hope this is OK.

VDSL Range A (Clean)42.11.20.81.5Available----Yes--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)41.81.10.51.4Available----Yes--

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2.5--1 to 4Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 3.5Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available--------
Fixed Rate1----Available--------

0 Ratings
PaulHP14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Thanks again Webby,  we seem to have two QnA's running in parallel so I'm seeing supplementary questions after postinganswers to previous- we're tripping over each other with the speed!

I won't be able to source another router for a week or so but will look into that when I'm back from my next trip.

I would like to clarify that the speeds were not quite exactly the same between the two routers in that the speed with the Draytek was 2.269090, so very slightly faster than we're seeing now with the HomeHub, but I doubt that changes anything.

Is banding the proper terminology for a speed cap?  Are there then accepted bands or steps?  Is there anyone who could confirm the effect of Interleaving?

0 Ratings