Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Poor broadband speed following a line fault

Go to solution

All,

Following a fault on my telephone line and several frustrating conversations with BT frontline help, I'm wondering if anyone here can offer advice on my current situation. 

Tuesday before last, my broadband connection just stopped, the Home Hub 4 I had just would not sync and get a connection. I'd previously had intermittent issues when the weather was bad, and a couple of years ago an engineer had been out to repair a fault (no phone line or bb that time) and said the connection just outside my house was a bit 'dodgy'. 

This latest issue hadn't really occured when we'd had particularly bad weather, but it had been windy and raining. 

I tried a Netgear router I had and got the same results that it would not sync. 

The first front line BT staff I spoke to somehow identified an issue with my Home Hub 4 (even though I'd tried another router and had told them all this). I'd got to the stage where I just thought I'd have to go along with the chap I was speaking with as it wasn't really going anywhere, and ended up getting a replacement Smart Hub sent out. 

As expected, I got the same issue with this, althought it woudl occasionally connect at a really low rate. At this time however, I also noticed that I got a decent connection if the phone was in use. A quick google revealed I might have a high resistance fault, so armed with this info, I again spoke with BT. They ran through the same tests as the first chap, and as my Hub did connect (at 100k or something as poor), I was told it would go through to a monitoring team who would call me back the following day. It was the Friday following my fault on the Tuesday I had this conversation. 

Sure enough, BT called me on the Saturday, asked how my broadband had been. I confirmed it was exactly the same, still a very poor connection. After asking for an enginner a few times, eventually they agreed to send one out. 

So this Tuesday just gone, the engineer turned up right whent they said he would. I explained the issue, and straight away he said it did sound like a high resistatnce fault. He plugged his meter in, and found it was close to the outside of my house (as I expected). Up his ladder he went, and sorted it out, explaining that when he checked, two halves of a cable in a connector just pulled apart ! They were barely connected, it had somehow worn loose. 

So, that was sorted, and the broadband now had a stable connection, and the phone line was as clear as a bell (this had previously been noisy). He also fitted the latest Openreach faceplate on my master socket which was nice. 

He said the connection would be poor for a few days.

That was Tuesday. We're now on Saturday and the connection has remained at synching at 283kbps. 

I haven't touched the hub as I've seen numerous posts on here saying that it needs to be left on and things will sort themselves out. This is all well and good, apart from BT seem to be remotely rebooting my hub !!!!! The longest it got to was just over 2 days uptime but then it was remotely rebooted (if what I'm reading in the event log on the hub is right). 

I called BT today, but again chocolate tea pot comes to mind. I don't mean to sound harsh, but even after explaining that the hub was synching at a low rate, they asked if my slow connection was on wireless or wired. I don't expect tech gods, but surely the helpdesk staff should have a level of basic knowledge.

As part of their checks, they insisted on me restarting my hub so I did, so frustratingly, it still hasn't been up in one go for longer than about 2 days. 

The guy today did the same checks as the others, and eventually said a broadband engineer would need to come out. This is scheduled for Wednesday.

I'm just wondering in the mean time if anyone else has experience of an issue like this and if there's anything else I can be doing?

I've posted some stats below. I half feel better for that bit of a rant, so sorry if it comes across a bit harsh!

Kind regards

Steven

Hub stats :

Data rate:

1.04 kbps / 283 bps

Maximum data rate:

1036 / 8312

Noise margin:

6 / 14.2

Line attenuation:

Signal attenuation:

272 / 465

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_992_5_ANNEX_A

Speed test :

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.24 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

Broadband checker:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+

Up to 6

--

3.5 to 9

Available

--

--

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M

Up to 6

Up to 1

3.5 to 9

Available

--

--

ADSL Max

Up to 1.5

--

1.5 to 4.5

Available

--

--

WBC Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

--

--

Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

--

--

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Poor broadband speed following a line fault

Go to solution
you are in a banded profile you now need to be able to maintain a stable hub connection for the next 10 days and you should the start to release from the banding automatically a stable convection is what is needed
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
0 Ratings
SteG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the info.

The really annoying thing here is that I haven't touched the hub, and we've had no power outs that may have caused it, but the hub has rebooted itself twice since the fault. I'd have been past the 3 day mark if it hadn't done that, and the helpdesk person I spoke to yesterday made no mention of this, and apparently set me back again by asking me to restart my hub!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
yes any restart will reset the time clock again the only cure is a stable 24/7 connection with no restarts for any reason
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @SteG and thanks for posting.

I can appreciate how annoying being asked to rset the hub has been for you but if you can get a few days stable connection and then post back I'm sure we'll be able to help you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
SteG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

So I've been out most of today and checked my hub when I got back.

Looks like I'm back to square one again as the dsl connection appears to have been restarted 😞  .

In the event logs there were a lot of 'TR69' entries, and at one point this :

Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

This is not something that was done from my side, and it's caused the connection time to restart again. 

I don't get what's going on with the hub here, but at this rate I'm never going to reach 3 days of solid connection.

0 Ratings
SteG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Just for info and as a way of closure, an engineer attended today, tested and confirmed the physical line was ok. He then reset the broadband connection stating that this would cause the line to try and connect at full speed and balance itself from there again, and sure enough it's now connecting again back at my usual 6.5Mbps. 

Seems a shame it took an engineer to come out and do this rather than the helpdesk I'd previously spoken with as even the engineer had to contact a specific team within BT to do this. 

Can't fault the engineer though and at least my connection is now back to normal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Glad to hear it's all sorted @SteG. Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings