cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Poor internet again

Hi guys, is there anything that can be done to have a line actually tested properly and have it repaired even at a cost to me as we are still suffering disconnects if it rains lower than previous synch speed and a generally degrading service as the years go by.

Millions spent on FTTC cabinets and ours is worse now than 10 years ago.

The last engineer out, sometime last year said a length of underground cable was badly degraded but nothing was done that i ever heard about and the issues are as bad as ever.

The voice line is quiet on the test but this is what i get from the tester and router

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.71 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1.06 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is -
0.75 Mbps

ADSL Uptime

4 days 5 hours 39 minutes 8 seconds
Modulation : G.Dmt Annex Mode : Annex A/L Line State : up Lan Tx : 13209043 Lan Rx : 23600680 ADSL Tx : 18185664 ADSL Rx : 9931356 CRC Down : 4 CRC Up : 4518 FEC Down : 6 FEC Up : 7144 HEC Down : 6266 HEC Up : 492 SNR Up : 10.0 SNR Down : 19.0 Line Attenuation Up : 31.5 Line Attenuation Down : 63.5 Data Rate Up : 448 Data Rate Down : 1056

Thanks
Gary
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Poor internet again

your noise margin is very high at 19db and as you have a stable 4 days conenction we can see if mods will reset your noise margin back to 6db which will give an increase in speed  mods will post a contact us link here.  from your attenuation you are on a very long line and problem when it rains could be anywhere in that long stretch of copper cable.   as long as phone line is ok openreach are unlikely to dig up road.

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/4 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Hi @Nohoper,

Thanks for posting. I can get the noise margin reset for you. Can you drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Thnks David, sent the email a few days ago,

Dont know if you got to looking at this yet or not but i guess i hope not as the connections still awfull, the BT speedcheck wont even run,

the router i notice today had an uptime of only 8 hours so the connection obviously dropped sometime this morning, and it dropped out again just now after i came home,

0 days 8 hours 37 minutes 27 seconds

Modulation : G.Dmt
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 19508062
Lan Rx : 27569465
ADSL Tx : 52207
ADSL Rx : 43878
CRC Down : 1027
CRC Up : 47625
FEC Down : 1082
FEC Up : 56169
HEC Down : 20429
HEC Up : 9180
SNR Up : 9.0
SNR Down : 17.5
Line Attenuation Up : 31.5
Line Attenuation Down : 63.5
Data Rate Up : 448
Data Rate Down : 416

then

0 days 0 hours 3 minutes 11 seconds

Lan Tx : 19526483
Lan Rx : 27587351
ADSL Tx : 2998
ADSL Rx : 2686
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 23
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 722
HEC Down : 44
HEC Up : 0
SNR Down : 15.0
Data Rate Down : 864

Quiet line seems good, the throughput tho is apalling so i dread to think what the speeds been capped down to by the exchange now.  I dont appear to have any voice line issues just the Adsl has gone down the toilet.

Thanks

Gary

0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Ok so its running now.

bt phone stats.jpg

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.68 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :0.86 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
0.75 Mbps

0 days 1 hours 2 minutes 58 seconds

Lan Tx : 19682014
Lan Rx : 27702708
ADSL Tx : 116553
ADSL Rx : 152802
CRC Down : 7
CRC Up : 847
FEC Down : 2
FEC Up : 13378
HEC Down : 1879
HEC Up : 242
SNR Down : 15.0

Gary

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

it can take 3/5 working days after you send the email as you are now in a queue of other customers waiting for mod help all of whom consider their problem a priority hence why mods reply in order email received.  just need to be patient until your email reaches to of inbox and mods will contact you by phone or email 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Sure, no worries, I did assume as i'd had no contact nor improvement it might not have been looked at, just posting the state of the line right now,  

Point being that despite the quiet line test sounding fine and no issues really on the voice line, I'm losing connection which keeps messing with my stable Uptime and as a result i'm wondering what if any longer term effect the mods resetting the SNR will ultimately have.

I am just sitting on it right now, ill keep monitoring the Line stats and when the guys get to me see what change that makes and for how long, not much else to be done 🙂

Gary

only edited to correct typo 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

the reset of noise margi back to normal 6db will increase your connection speed which will give faster download speed.  your last stats showed 4+ days conenction time so line looks stable and not resetting daily.

0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Hiya,

Umm No, basically.

My last stats showed an uptime of 1 hour the one before that of 8 hours, now the original post had an uptime of 4 days and i dont think it had failed until this morning but cant be sure, hence my replies to the thread expressing potential doubts.

Time will tell, as i say i'm just waiting and monitoring.

Gary

0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Hiya,

And again, power outage this morning destroys any hope of doing anything on the internet as the system caps my line now

to 0.35 !!

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.33 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :0.86 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
0.35 Mbps

ADSL Uptime

0 days 16 hours 22 minutes 36 seconds

Lan Tx : 1122445
Lan Rx : 919445
ADSL Tx : 893138
ADSL Rx : 1033884
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 222
FEC Down : 1
FEC Up : 20418
HEC Down : 303
HEC Up : 3
SNR Up : 10.0
SNR Down : 14.5

Now i know why it does this, and ive posted several times before why i think there needs to be a workround and i know pople on here disagree , so ill leave ranting about the IP profile for now and worry more about why i can only synch at less than half of my historic rate,    Ip profiling used to obviously impact the throughput but surely for synch speeds to be less than half what they were several years ago should indicate some fault/degrading of my line.

But with no contractual requirement for BT to do anything and no interest from BT and the Govt in those with the poorest connections for another 4 years untill the 2020 carrot on a stick farce, who cares.

0 Ratings