cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Poor internet again

As I said already you are on a very long line probably about 5km maybe more as your attenuation at 63.5db is highest router reports even though actual if far greater. The longer your copper line the more prone it is to noise problems and even worse if you keep getting power outages

need to wait on mods getting back to you and then get them to help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Perhaps it would be worth plugging the home hub into a small UPS to provide backup power. My home hub and other IT stuff is plugged into an APC UPS, as we also get frequent power outages.

0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Hi guys,

Keith, good idea, we actually discussed that very thing the olther day at home just need to get something bought as it cant hurt,  That said the connections dropped twice today with no power cuts , just the adsl, leaving us with

/trumpet fanfare please

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.14 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :0.19 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is -
0.14 Mbps

Had a call from BT cust service in regard to this, had a chat and he's arranging for a BB engineer to come on friday AM to see if anything can be done, tho the line test says theres no problems !

While i do realise we're at the end of a long line years of connecting at greater than 1.5meg and being told  'Tough'  when thats degraded to what we have today is apalling lets be honest.

I took some photos of the 'new' run of cable that went in a couple of years ago but the connections so dire i didnt want to try up loading.. the cable runs along the roadside  across 2 farm gateways on gravel where its being constantly driven over  then about a KM along the grass verge passing a couple of car passing places one junction i can see in the dirt with a poly bag round it and eventually to our pole.   I dont know and cant possibly guess if any of thats contributing to our issues but its pretty shoddy imho and , well ill stop there before i get rude.

Lets see what Friday brings

Gary

0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 14 of 18

Hiya,

Engineer came on friday as booked, took a look at the stats i'd screen grabbed and hooked up his test kit, tho the line seemed good he mentioned possible high resistance somewhere out on the line, but first called someone and had stuff reset.

Line synched at above 2 meg initially then about 1800, he mentioned the errors and left to go have a look at the connections along the buried portion of the line back to the exchange and had suggested he would test from where the overheads ended and went underground, no reported issues from within the house wiring.

Heres a shot just after he finished

post engineer visit crop.jpg

One from this morning

this morning today  crop.jpg

And one from just now which indicates we lost connection earlier today at some point.

10 pm today  crop.jpg

Wasnt a power outage as we still show this..

uptime crop.jpg

Time will tell how it holds up, I dont suppose theres anyway to see what went into any report ?

Or maybe the Mods can ?

The errors in the second grab at 22hour uptime post his visit look bad  to me BUT are they ?

Thanks

Gary

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Good thing is after reset/drop in connection the speed returned the same with same noise margin which is good. Now to see if it holds overnight

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Hiya,

So just got back home after a month away, and the net was slow, ran the BT speedtester and get 0.44 M   the additional test part shows the IP is set to 0.5 , so obviously theres been issues while i was away.

Emailed the customer care guys, who had left the ticket open untill now so i had time to check the status, and it was almost like starting again when i got a phone call back, asking me what kind of router i have and telling me to disconnect other devices and that  if i was downloading or steaming movies that might make it look slow !!

Streaming Movies...... OMG could have laughed.

Despite the open ticket and the case reference there just doesnt seem to be any progression in the way things are handled.

Anyway she has now passed it to some  line monitoring department?  and i'm supposed to get a call tomorrow around 3pm.

As always trying to stay positive but If i dont hear the classic " the line tests ok, wait for it to be stable for 7 days and it will go back up,  i'll be stunned.

ADSL Driver Version FwVer:3.16.18.1_TC3086

HwVer:T14.F7_6.0 RAS ASUS_ANNEXAIJLM_20130204

ADSL Link Status up

ADSL Uptime 29 days 15 hours 2 minutes 36 seconds

Modulation : G.Dmt

Annex Mode : Annex A/L

Line State : up

Lan Tx : 58791972

Lan Rx : 54418067

ADSL Tx : 42202685

ADSL Rx : 39907781

CRC Down : 318

CRC Up : 20751

FEC Down : 481

FEC Up : 36362

HEC Down : 45153

HEC Up : 4419.0

SNR Up : 9.0

SNR Down : 13.0

Line Attenuation Up : 31.5

Line Attenuation Down : 63.5

Data Rate Up : 448

Data Rate Down : 800

Lets see what tomorrow brings

Gary

0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Lady called from Bt, said they can see a fault but are going to re align the profile now and call back tomorrow night. That the speed should improve.

I agree it will. As i'll not be restricted by the ip profiling, but it'll just drop again over time as really nothings been done to actually fix/improve the actual connection.

Still should be able to surf the net for a bit And if theyre going to leave the ticket open maybe they can monitor the line ? i dont know if thats an option  so they can actually see when and what is happening.

Gary

0 Ratings
Nohoper
Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Ok got home from a spell away with work and the connections down the pan again,

the speed tester says 0.6

the additional test thingy doesnt ever complete properly, and after a 30 second rain shower earlier today it all dropped out again

ADSL Uptime

0 days 3 hours 4 minutes 19 seconds
Modulation : G.Dmt Annex Mode : Annex A/L Line State : up Lan Tx : 8966614 Lan Rx : 6024801 ADSL Tx : 121923 ADSL Rx : 183449 CRC Down : 611 CRC Up : 19631 FEC Down : 604 FEC Up : 18911 HEC Down : 15451 HEC Up : 24710.0 SNR Up : 10.0 SNR Down : 10.5 Line Attenuation Up : 31.5 Line Attenuation Down : 63.5 Data Rate Up : 448 Data Rate Down : 1216

16 09 2016 fail .jpg

0 Ratings