cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Poor speed of broadband

For over a week now we are having great issues with our broadband speed. It reached the point that my husband and I have to keep closing everything down, so one of us can work for an hour or two and then swap. It has never been so poor, it does not matter if we use a phone or laptops. To do a search or send a couple of emails takes at least an hour and then you loose the will to carry on. We are in remote area, but never had a problem like this before.

I have tried to log a fault and run diagnostics on this site, but no such luck as it tells me that 'there is a problem with my connection'....

It would be nice to know if this can be fixed or if this is something potentially permanent, so we can find a different ways to work from home/remotely. Thank you

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Poor speed of broadband

can you check to see if your landline phone works  if you get a dial tone then dial 17070 option 2  should be silent apart from announcement and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Hi, thank you for your reply, but I have no means to check the landline. We don't use it for at least 8 years. What would be the other option? I followed your instructions for the smart hub 2 and got as far as Technical Log, it is asking for admin password...

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

The most basic check is to see if you have a dial tone and then if you have to check for line noise

poor broadband is often caused by landline problems and low speeds due to one of the two wires being disconnected. Broadband can work with 1 wire connected but phone needs both

it is technical log information not the actual logs

the admin password is on the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Hi, so if we don't have a landline phone what else can we do? I cannot buy phone just to check if my landline is working, surely there must be another way? When I tried to check the speed it keeps telling me that there is a problem...hence going round in circles. I have to switch TV to send you this message by the way...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Sorry but there is no other way to check you landline is actually working and this could be your problem with your broadband.  Is there not someone who you could borrow a phone from. It costs about £10 or less of cheap phone and could save you getting engineer fallout only to find problem in your hone and then get charged £85 for the callout

still up to you

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Hi, so I have bought a phone and have done exactly as you said. Dialed 17070 option 2 was silent with intermittent announcement. Our broadband is still appallingly slow, so what do I do next?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Good so your line is silent with no noise at all

can you post the hub stats. Adavanced settings then technical log information 

enter your phone number and post results. Remember delete number. This will show expected range of speed for your line.   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

does your connection drop at any regular time or just random?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Sorry, you need to be patient with me...what hub stats and where do I get it from? And what do you mean I need to enter my number and then delete it? Apologies, but I do not understand....

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Hi,

This is what I got:

VDSL Range A (Clean) Downstream: High - 15.2  Low -7.9 Upstream High - 1.2  Low - 0.8  Treshold - 6.4 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) Downstream: High - 15 Low - 7.7 Upstream High - 1.2  Low - 0.8  Treshold 5.2
ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5
FTTP is not available.

Is this what you need?

0 Ratings