Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
torquec
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Problem with Broadband Speed!

Hi all,

Im having trouble getting the same download speed i used to get, it was all fine up until around the 5th June where the connection had dropouts! (i wasn't at home but came back to 1.5mb download speed so got in touch with BT and they said there was a drop out on that date.) Before that date i was getting between 18-22Mb download and 0.8-1.5mb upload speed. I spoke to someone from BT and i explained the issue and they did a SNR reset and the connection went to 17mb download for a while then dropped to 6mb then to 11mb and kept fluctuating. This is speed im getting at the moment but continues to vary;

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.3 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 18.07 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.36Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Also the guy from BT saiid my Sync Speed is 20mb still lower than 22mb but fine, and i understand i dont get exactly that amout but little less. But im getting 12mb, sometimes lower. Had an engineer come out Thursday 11th and replaced my hub and checked the line, there we no errors and he showed me sync speed which was 20mb too. I looked at a speedtest result i did a while back and the results were 18.61 Mbps download, 1.53 Mbps Upload with 30ms Ping. That result is showing higher than the IP profile so i used to get fast speeds. I download alot of films and music and stream, also play online games. I used to get 2.2mbps sometimes 2.3mb whilst downloading a film, now im not even getting over a mb which i should get with download speed of 12.3mb, im getting around 300-600kbps so im confused. Im speaking to the same BT guy on Monday 15th afternoon he's going to check with me to see if connection has improved. Here's some info that might help, I have a HomeHub4, don't know what to include so if im missing any info let me know and i'll try and get it posted. Oh i must note i have done these speed tests both wireless and wired and get similar results when i had between 18-22Mbps i was using wireless.

Line state: Connected

Connection time: 0 days, 00:58:04

Downstream: 20483 kbps

Upstream: 445 kbps

DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:46:30

Data Rate: 445 / 20483

Maximum Data Rate: 1264 / 20532

Noise Margin: 32.1 / 6.1

Line Attenuation: 6.4 / 5.5

Signal Attenuation: 6.3 / 9.6

Here's a screenshot of another speedtest i did;

BT 2.jpg

Please help, any help is much appreciated and ideas welcome 🙂

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Problem with Broadband Speed!

can you go to troubleshooting then logs and looking for 2 lines like this

Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

from what you posted you down connection speed is virtually at the max for your line but the up speed is far lower and I would expect about 0.8/1.1mb - you cannot get 1.5mb on adsl2+

please can your run btspeedtester diagnostic test again but with wired connection and post results

did engineer fit a SSFP or do you have the normal NTE5 with a filter?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
torquec
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

00:27:14, 12 Jun.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=20483Kbps, Up Rate=445Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=34.2dB

Yeah the connection speed is good with is being 20mb, but im not getting near that. Im only getting 12mb i would expect to get around 18mb, and before the 5th i was getting around 20mb download speed.

This is the results from wired connection;

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.19 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 18.07 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.38Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I have a normal NTE5 with filter, currently im connected to the test socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

the router reset early this morning was that manual or router dropping connection?  if router does thia happen often?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
torquec
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Was manual, iv only had this router a day because engineer replaced my old one.

Also im currently downloading a film and speed has gone to 1.22mbps, so that seems to have resolved itself because im getting 12mb download.. but i was getting 2.22mbps whilst download a film so around 22mbs download speed. So im currently only getting just over 50% of that now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

actual download speeds can and do vary throughout the day there is nothing that can be done as that depends on general internet activity as you are well within the BT Wholesale spec of 4 to 21 mb there is nothing BT can do to improve download speed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
torquec
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

I know speeds vary, but I don't get why I'm not getting my usual 18-22mbps download speed.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

at present you have an attainable of 20.5mb and an actual of 20.4mb with noise margin at normal 6db.  if you maintain a stable connection and there are no line noise problems then it is likely the DLM will reduce your noise margin to the new norm of 3db for good lines which will increase your speed.  this may take a few weeks of stable conenction

0 Ratings
torquec
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Will the noise margin automatically change to 3db if my line remains stable?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

if your line is stable and there are not a lot of line errors the DLM may reduce your noise margin down to 3db which increases your conenction.  there is no certainty just depends on the quality of your line

0 Ratings