Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richsco
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Problems connecting new laptop to wireless hub 2.0

Go to solution

Hi, can anyone help please?

I have just purchased a new laptop and when I try and connect it to the Hub wirelessly it asks me for a security key......what is this? I have tried the WPA key from the back of the hub but all I keep getting is a message saying windows was unable to connect to the BT HomeHub. Is the security key something different and how do i find it

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems connecting new laptop to wireless hub 2.0

Go to solution

@richsco wrote:

Hi, can anyone help please?

I have just purchased a new laptop and when I try and connect it to the Hub wirelessly it asks me for a security key......what is this? I have tried the WPA key from the back of the hub but all I keep getting is a message saying windows was unable to connect to the BT HomeHub. Is the security key something different and how do i find it

Thanks

It should be asking for that key. Unless you, or someone else, has changed it. Are you sure you're connecting to your Hub and not, say, a neighbours? The sticker shows the SSID name of your hub too.

If you connect using an ethernet cable you can find out (and change) the wireless key by going to the Home Hub's management page http://api.home and selecting Settings and See or change your wireless security code.

Highlighted
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

If you haven't changed the wireless security key then the one on the back should work.

Should have said - for the following either use a cable connection or a computer that is already connected to your hub.

If you want to change it or check what is there then
Type 192.168.1.254 into your browser - this will bring up the hubs home page.
click on A-Z - top right
scroll down to Wireless Security and click on it
You may be asked for your hub password (not the wireless key)
You should now see the wireless encryption key - it is case sensitive.

richsco
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks to the replies, now sorted. Well pleased!!